Compensation culture - soon to come to an end?

it appears that everyone is doing it.

It's easy to understand why. Totally wrong in my view, but easy to understand.

Insurance company sells claim to claims company for £300. Claims company sells claim to solicitor for £600. Insurer and CMC make £300 each for doing no work. Ironically, in terms of costs, most RTA claims make solicitors around £800 in costs, as the costs are set, so the insurers and the claims company make more than the solicitors.

I hate the way the system works like that.

Question to moosey again

So in effect, instead of local communitys whinging and wineing about kids that are out of control, hanging around and getting drunk etc....

One of the residents could in effect start to run a club and bring the community together.

While I accept that many in the 12 - 18 age category are probably lost causes (they will get older and mover on) largely thanks to this silly "compensation culture that they grew up with - its too dangerous, lets legalise drugs instead"

We could in effect start on our 5 year olds, get them used to being part of a community and playing together - the person who decided to do something positive, could in effect be immune from any compensation claim ?

Is that correct?

to get back to the point of the thread, why is it unacceptable for someone who has been injured due to the deliberate action (or lack of action) of another to be compensated for their injury?

It isn't.

However if you read mafyas link that isn't what is happening. Insurance companies are being paid to alert solicitors when accidents occur and in some cases (lets be honest most) the ambulance chasers then suggest claiming for unprovable either way "whiplash" where no occured - NHS annual bill £8 million - annual insurance payout - £2 BILLION.

It's a system based of systematic fraud by the industry. Makes us look like a third world country it's so damn corrupt.

Question to moosey again

So in effect, instead of local communitys whinging and wineing about kids that are out of control, hanging around and getting drunk etc....

One of the residents could in effect start to run a club and bring the community together.

While I accept that many in the 12 - 18 age category are probably lost causes (they will get older and mover on) largely thanks to this silly "compensation culture that they grew up with - its too dangerous, lets legalise drugs instead"

We could in effect start on our 5 year olds, get them used to being part of a community and playing together - the person who decided to do something positive, could in effect be immune from any compensation claim ?

Is that correct?

I don't see any problem. You need to think carefully about these things, and the risks, but I'm happy to offer any informal help you might need. Not through work or anything, but I think it's a creditable thing to do, so if I can help with advice on something I will.

It's all about considering risks, and if it was football, it's unlikely you'd have any real problems I think personally.

It isn't.

However if you read mafyas link that isn't what is happening. Insurance companies are being paid to alert solicitors when accidents occur and in some cases (lets be honest most) the ambulance chasers then suggest claiming for unprovable either way "whiplash" where no occured - NHS annual bill £8 million - annual insurance payout - £2 BILLION.

It's a system based of systematic fraud by the industry. Makes us look like a third world country it's so damn corrupt.

Having spent 15 years in law, I don't think it's quite as corrupt as you make out. Yes, there are problems, but there are with any system. Nothing's perfect. Sadly, as with many things, a few dodgy people spoil it for the rest. In this case a few dodgy and no doubt fraudulent claims companies spoil it for genuine solicitors trying to actually help people. Shame really, as it's led to the reforms coming up that will mean justice will cost innocent people the money they are entitled to.

I don't see any problem. You need to think carefully about these things, and the risks, but I'm happy to offer any informal help you might need. Not through work or anything, but I think it's a creditable thing to do, so if I can help with advice on something I will.

It's all about considering risks, and if it was football, it's unlikely you'd have any real problems I think personally.

That is interesting.

So in effect, instead of people moaning about kids. If an adult in that community was to actually get off his or her bottom, that one person could so something very positive for the good of the community.

How many adults would be willing to step up and do something?

it could be the first step to breaking the stranglehold of the compensation culture.....although, I believe if this winter is a harsh winter that could be the beginning of the end, and normality to return

That is interesting.

So in effect, instead of people moaning about kids. If an adult in that community was to actually get off his or her bottom, that one person could so something very positive for the good of the community.

How many adults would be willing to step up and do something?

it could be the first step to breaking the stranglehold of the compensation culture.....although, I believe if this winter is a harsh winter that could be the beginning of the end, and normality to return

Yep, and it's a nice thought.

Don't worry about winter though. As I say, there's no duty in reality on the council to grit, so the claims don't win. We see them every year, and turn them down every year.

Having spent 15 years in law, I don't think it's quite as corrupt as you make out. Yes, there are problems, but there are with any system. Nothing's perfect. Sadly, as with many things, a few dodgy people spoil it for the rest. In this case a few dodgy and no doubt fraudulent claims companies spoil it for genuine solicitors trying to actually help people. Shame really, as it's led to the reforms coming up that will mean justice will cost innocent people the money they are entitled to.

Insurance companies take bungs from all claim companies (which are just fronts for you solicitors) according to the figures in the linked article over 1/6 of the insurers income is from bungs from solicitors/claims companies to let them know when an at fault accident occurs.

You're telling me that isn't a blatantly corrupt system? You expect me to believe that the leeches in suits that are the legal proffession purely care about people who have actually been injured being fairly compensated? What utter rot, all you care about is volume of claims, hence your proffession bung the insurers to pass the at fault details to you to pressure people into making claims for thinks like noneexistant whiplash.

If you're concerned about innocent people do you think there is a single legitamately injured peson in this country who has no idea that having been injured you may be entitled to compensation without some pimply parasite ringing them up on the behest of solicitors who have bunged the insurer for their contact details?

Archived