'Undesirables' cannot be deported

I watched a film about the American way. It was about a guy who was sent back to the country of his birth even though he had never been there since he was a child. He had no friends or family there as his parents moved to the States. There's deporting and there's just plain evil. I'm proud we don't do that.

It has been drilled into me since I got here that if I break the terms of my visa I will be removed. If I now break the terms of my stay I have no one to blame but myself if I am then tossed out of the country.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Maybe if these folks KNEW they would be returned they may not break the law in the first place?

Yes but why?

Look, we know native Brits and migrants have all the same rights in law, but the deportion thing is just obvious, its a silly thing to point out that native British criminals in Britain wont be deported to a country with a harsh regime -or any country for that matter.

There was a programme on last Sunday hosted by the lovely Susannah Reid in which 3 opinion formers debated this subject. London 'shock jock' Nick Ferrari said once a foreigner has completed their sentence deportation should follow. He was of course heavily criticised by the liberal woman next to him as according to her once a prison sentence is served the reformed person returns to society to start again. In her view there was no reason for the individual to return to their nation of origin. The text poll of viewers of course was 92% in favour of deportation. This is the gulf between the ordinary Joes who rub shoulders with the incoming criminals and upper middle class theoreticians with zero real world experience.

In my opinion every incomer to the UK should have a 10 year probation period. Nobody has any right to go to any country and commit crime and it's amazing that EU citizens are allowed to travel freely regardless. The teen thug Learco Chindamo who murdered the headmaster Philip Lawrence in 1995 was the son of an Italian gangster who spoke no English on arrival, he, his mother and a sibling were let in, the father was already in prison in Italy. Why were they ever allowed in? He recently came out and is now back inside having convinced the hand wringers he was reformed. Within 5 minutes he was trading on his reputation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Philip_Lawrence

Does that apply to British nationals, or are you giving them preferential treatment?

I would have no problem removing the right to stay within the UK of anyone who committed a serious crime. Maybe a large island in the middle of nowhere could be used by all UN nations to deposit those found guilty of serious crimes?

I would have no problem removing the right to stay within the UK of anyone who committed a serious crime. Maybe a large island in the middle of nowhere could be used by all UN nations to deposit those found guilty of serious crimes?

We used to send them to Australia, but those days are gone.

It has been drilled into me since I got here that if I break the terms of my visa I will be removed. If I now break the terms of my stay I have no one to blame but myself if I am then tossed out of the country.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Maybe if these folks KNEW they would be returned they may not break the law in the first place?

I agree with the bottom part but it's this responsibility bit you speak of. Would that be the same responsibility the British government has with regards to human rights. You know the bit where we're not supposed to send them to their death. It's alright suggesting the individual accept responsibility but so should the government. America happily executes it's citizens, I imagine they wouldn't care about an immigrant. I'm glad we're above that kind of thing as a nation.

I agree with the bottom part but it's this responsibility bit you speak of. Would that be the same responsibility the British government has with regards to human rights. You know the bit where we're not supposed to send them to their death. It's alright suggesting the individual accept responsibility but so should the government. America happily executes it's citizens, I imagine they wouldn't care about an immigrant. I'm glad we're above that kind of thing as a nation.

If they commit these crimes then they are sentencing themselves to death surely?

If I know the outcome of something I do will be A then if I go ahead and do that thing and A happens I have no one to blame but myself surely?

I made the decision I must accept the consequences.

If they commit these crimes then they are sentencing themselves to death surely?

If I know the outcome of something I do will be A then if I go ahead and that thing and A happens I have no one to blame but myself surely?

No-one ever does think about the consequences. That's why we have crimes. I'm not defending any crimes. Just think we should only go so far with regards to punishment.

So as a society we should live with an eye for an eye? I don't want to live in that kind of society. America does.

Archived