The £300 pay rise that leaves you only £23 better off

I'd be over the moon with an extra £23, I've not had a rise for 6 years

You have missed the point, if you sweat 300 quid worth and receive 23 quid reward you are unlikely to be a happy bunny unless you are a long term resident at the laughing academy.

You will effectively be receiving 8% (7.67% to 2 dp) of your wage rise.

You will be paying an effective marginal rate of tax at 92.33%.

I'd be over the moon with an extra £23, I've not had a rise for 6 years

I’m sure in the OP example the £300 wage increase would be due to extra working hours so would increase travel costs and other expenses, these costs would more than wipe out any increase in wage.

they would have to work more hours to achieve an increase in income
Does the President know about this?

You mean people have to actually do something to get something rather than just have it given to them? This is indeed a bizarre and radical concept, one virtually unheard of in the 21st century where we are all unique and special and destined to be megastars and bound for greatness.

The £23 increase only refers to those in receipt of "benefits" to top up wages, people not claiming off the state would recieve a substantial amount more for working the extra hours.

I think that’s kind of the point the OP is making, what incentive is there to work longer hours if you end up being worse off.

But initially he didn't state longer hours, he said pay rise.

However surely the incentive would be to stop being a benefit claimant, people can dress it up how they like they're still claiming state handouts. If they thinks it's acceptable then they should continue,if they feel dole scroungers etc are in the wrong then they should do anything possible to stop claiming benefits and climb out of the benefit trip.

I work with a couple of guys who claim WFTC and still complain about people on benefits.

The whole system in this country is crazy a lately you can not get on for trying the only way to get on is to be bent,if you have a decent job you have tax NI rates water rates VAT everything you earn has gone before you can have any fun,if you have a rented house the average rent is £500+ a month then you have the council chasing you about for money then there's the ever increasing cost of the shopping ,cost of petrol and road tax is a killer before you even think about buying a car you have the insurance to pay,you just seem to work to stand still now, if you are on the dole you can get your rent payed and your council tax payed as well so they are off your case and if you can get a little fiddle job cash in hand your laughing knock a few kids out and you are even better off, work for a living and the only thing you gain is a hard time and no help with anything,I feel sorry for young people nowadays there is nothing for them and buying a house must just be a dream for them,if you look at the average rent and rates and what you get payed for an average to decent payed job even if you claim tax credits you are not that much better off why should people go out and flog there guts out for little reward you might say for self pride but self pride doesn't cut it when you come home from a hard days graft and you can not even afford to go for a few pints down at the local.

The £23 increase only refers to those in receipt of "benefits" to top up wages, people not claiming off the state would recieve a substantial amount more for working the extra hours.

Finally, somebody understanding that benefits are a support, not a right. Too many would look at a £300 rise and want to keep all that AND keep all their benefits as well. Gordon Brown created a system of welfare that pays better to be idle and taxes anyone and everyone who works to fund idleness. Brown should be charged with treason for endangering the state. I hope the government reverse that absurd situation ASAP but I'm not holding my breath. The something for nothing culture runs very deep in this country. That's why so many want to come here.

I think the tax system in the UK is probably the most complicated any where in the world, and we are very probably the highest taxed in the world also.

Tax on your pay. Purchase tax on your goods. Tax and VAT on your car fuel. VAT on much that you purchase. Council tax. Inheritance tax. Pension Tax and I'm certain many more "stealth taxes" that we have to pay. It just makes you wonder out of wage of around say £20,000, just how much is clawed back in VAT and Taxes.

Angel.

Archived