Not bad to say she makes money from the unemployed & disabled

Hi

Forgive me that I havent read every post on this thread - just the first few so sorry if I have gone off topic.

My son has " supposedly" got a job through a4e ( obviously dont want to name the company) - that was 3 weeks ago.

He is getting passed from pillar to post by the company and also a4e as to the actual start date. Every time he rings a4e "the person is not available but will ring back" - they dont.

Anyhow the bottom line is that he doesnt care what emma wotshername earns - the only thing he cares about is getting a job crap pay or what.

I just wondered if anyone here has had the promise (contract signed) of a job through a4e only for it not to actually happen. Thanks in advance for any replies

That's not nice that a company have interviewed your lad, offered him a post (with a contract signed) and have now gone to ground... I used to be a recruitment consultant, and that sadly does happen sometimes - normally when the company is in financial trouble and can't face you to say they cannot honour the offer, or once a guy had interviewed and he shouldn't have done, as he didn't have the authority to make a offer... As your lad has a signed contract with the business that have offered him work, he should contact them directly! The offer will be between him and the new employer, not A4e, they'll just have been the go between like I was when I was a recruitment consultant... Best that he contacts now he has a formal contract with them, a4e aren't the ones who made the offer after all, and the advisor there might not have the same relationship with the employer as your son forged in the run up to his being offered a contract to sign... Contracts often state a date as start of service - has this date gone? Has he been up to the business in person to chase?

That's not nice that a company have interviewed your lad, offered him a post (with a contract signed) and have now gone to ground... I used to be a recruitment consultant, and that sadly does happen sometimes - normally when the company is in financial trouble and can't face you to say they cannot honour the offer, or once a guy had interviewed and he shouldn't have done, as he didn't have the authority to make a offer... As your lad has a signed contract with the business that have offered him work, he should contact them directly! The offer will be between him and the new employer, not A4e, they'll just have been the go between like I was when I was a recruitment consultant... Best that he contacts now he has a formal contract with them, a4e aren't the ones who made the offer after all, and the advisor there might not have the same relationship with the employer as your son forged in the run up to his being offered a contract to sign... Contracts often state a date as start of service - has this date gone? Has he been up to the business in person to chase?
now your out of the game maybe you could enlighten me on a cpl of things agencies are supposed to do. (1) how much do they charge a client company for the hourly rate of say a joiner ( i know different jobs will charged at a different rate but a ball park figure will do )?(2) why can a agency pay one employee holiday pay etc and not pay another employee who works for the same agency who are both working for the client company?(3) do you think the new laws coming in on oct 1 will make employers take on permanent staff and reducing agency workers ?

i wonder how many sheffield forum members actually work for a4e and their reluctance to post on this thread :hihi:

I've met an employee of A4E who said how employees were tret to a grand tour of Thornbridge Hall by Emma herself upon starting employment (why they did not utlise their palms to slap her I do not know). They lamented the targets and impersonal approach of the organization, and questioned how a woman effectively working for the state could become so wealthy so quickly whilst their neighbours (customers), struggled to make ends meet.

now your out of the game maybe you could enlighten me on a cpl of things agencies are supposed to do. (1) how much do they charge a client company for the hourly rate of say a joiner ( i know different jobs will charged at a different rate but a ball park figure will do )?(2) why can a agency pay one employee holiday pay etc and not pay another employee who works for the same agency who are both working for the client company?(3) do you think the new laws coming in on oct 1 will make employers take on permanent staff and reducing agency workers ?

I didn't work with temps, and I did sales and exec recruitment, so couldn't say what the rate would be for a joiner - but we used to charge between 10 and 20% of salary - and that was the same for those who went off on contracts (3 months work, 6 months, so like a temp)... All agency staff are paid holiday pay - Years back, when I first started (10 years ago?) some did and some didn't - by the time I left 5 years ago all agencies paid holiday pay where the temp was paid weekly or monthly by the agency - It is possible to be self employed, and work as a contractor and then you won't, but you will get far higher rate of pay in the first instance... I know nothing of the new laws, as I've been out of the game for five years - as far as I can see in th epress, it seems to be a extension of the laws that came in whilst I was in recruitment, where sick and holiday pay were paid by the agency as they were now employees of the agency, same as I was myself... The reason agencies charge rates is to cover for sick, holiday, tax, NI and of course the overheads accrued by using another company to deal with your recruitment... My clients used to pay about £5K for a sales manager, about £3K for a really good sales rep - But they didn't have to pay for the press/media adverts outright, they didn't CV sift, they didn't do 1st interviews - and if they didn't choose my candidate, we still had all those overheads and they didn't have to pay me a bean!

I've met an employee of A4E who said how employees were tret to a grand tour of Thornbridge Hall by Emma herself upon starting employment (why they did not utlise their palms to slap her I do not know). They lamented the targets and impersonal approach of the organization, and questioned how a woman effectively working for the state could become so wealthy so quickly whilst their neighbours (customers), struggled to make ends meet.

/

Did she become wealthy quickly? I understand that A4e (although under another name years ago) was her father's business, and she took it over and rebranded it... That's not starting from scratch, and she may well have had cash on the hip from childhood for all most of us know? Her husband owns pubs and a brewery and what not - there has to be cash in that, or else why keep buying more pubs?

Or maybe she tells new staff that she is self made, and has no other income? If so, why would anyone tell their employees the ins and outs of their lives???

He once went to a JOB CENTRE based interview and got a job in a gym - yet it never happened because "they didnt have enough funding or something????Call me niave but I just thought that if you "got" a job from the job centre it would be "for definate". Why did JC not check out properly that the visiting company could 100% offer jobs instead of building hopes up

they might be waiting for this new scheme to kick in before he actually starts the job.then when he starts they will be able to claim up to 14 grand for your son because they got him the job .i wonder how many people will be starting for mac ds,kfc,pizza hut etc .

I believe the new scheme has already started. From what i can make out this new scheme is about getting people working no matter what. It seems to be similar to the old scheme but there are far less useful training courses and more bully boy tactics to force people in to doing a job they do not want.

I know someone who recently started this new scheme and on the very first appointment they were being pushed in to looking for a job in a totally different field.

It sounds to me like a4e are just out to get people in to 3 months work to collect that 14k no matter what it takes.

He once went to a JOB CENTRE based interview and got a job in a gym - yet it never happened because "they didnt have enough funding or something????Call me niave but I just thought that if you "got" a job from the job centre it would be "for definate". Why did JC not check out properly that the visiting company could 100% offer jobs instead of building hopes up

Trouble is, when you are in the market for finding jobs of all sorts for all sorts of people like the job centre and places like A4e, if someone was to say to you 'yeah, we've got a vacancy' and you went out to meet with them and they seemed fine, why wouldn't you start putting people forward for it? These types of businesses rarely go near recruitment agencies, cos they want hard cash for their services - the government pay A4e and their ilk, so for the end user it's seen as a free service, and they can agree to interview their candidates and then just never be available again... It's the company your lad has a contract with who are at fault, not the medium with which he was offered the job... I bet his consultant has tried to pin them down and failed a time or two - he needs to get himself round there, and take the contract with him and get some answers... Now he's to all purposes 'got' a job, he needs to deal with the employer... I know that he probably won't be starting work with them now, as they've obviously cocked up somewhere, but it might make em think twice before doing it to someone else? Or call the Star, and name and shame, with a photo of your lad holding his contract looking lost and sad... This employer needs a shock - or else they'll surface again at Remploy or Best and do it all over again to someone else...

Archived