Which are the most reliable cars to buy?

If there is such a thing as a reliable car?

No matter which car you have they're always prone to some major expensive repair and or many faults, but in your experience which cars would you say overall have been proven to be fairly reliable?

My Hyundai was plagued by electrical problems. I had to take some fuses out and sell it. Agree with Nissans though. Also Toyota.

Had a 20 year-old Toyota for a year. It was lovely but started burning oil so had to be scrapped. Cost me £70 for brakes and £40 for tyres in an entire year. Bought it for £350 and sold it for £150. That's £310 to run it for the year plus associated costs.

Focus diesels. BMW diesels without swirl pots.

If you maintain them correctly and drive with appropriate mechanical sympathy both the above will go to a half million miles with no engine problems at all. Bodywork is another matter.

If you want a petrol then BMW Alusil engines are fine, as are most Japanese. I don't think there has been a major mechanical failure yet of a Honda V-tec petrol that wasn't attributable to abuse or lack of servicing.

Focus diesels. BMW diesels without swirl pots.

If you maintain them correctly and drive with appropriate mechanical sympathy both the above will go to a half million miles with no engine problems at all. Bodywork is another matter.

If you want a petrol then BMW Alusil engines are fine, as are most Japanese. I don't think there has been a major mechanical failure yet of a Honda V-tec petrol that wasn't attributable to abuse or lack of servicing.

So you mean any bmw diesel after 2005? Agreed hehe..

My Hyundai was plagued by electrical problems. I had to take some fuses out and sell it. Agree with Nissans though. Also Toyota.

+1 on the Hyundai electrics

Quick thinking and ripping out a fuse stopped mine from going up in flames.

As for reliable, depends what you want out of a car.

The most reliable for me have been Skodas of the just-pre and just-post VW takeover, (i.e the Favorit and Felicia models)

On the rare occasions there have been faults they have always been of the sub-£100 nature (normal wear, such as £40 for a replacement alternator from a scrapper)

Probably because they are basic but functional.

On the other hand, the top-spec Daewoo I had once with all the toys that seemed a lot of car for the money, cost me more in the end in garage bills, than buying a newer, branded car would have done

Archived