Which are the most reliable cars to buy?

Just done an Autotrader search for cars with over 200,000 miles on the clock and the Japs hardly featured, it was mainly VWs, Astras, Pug 306s and Volvos.

Although jap cars are good mechanically, they usually rot away before they get chance to clock up a high mileage!

Although jap cars are good mechanically, they usually rot away before they get chance to clock up a high mileage!

I've known four people with Nissans and can agree with you on that.

The ex's old 1997 Toyota Rav4 LWB is still going strong though.

The Mk1 MR2 was prone to rust though, as is the Mazda MX5 on the rear arches and sills.

Just done an Autotrader search for cars with over 200,000 miles on the clock and the Japs hardly featured

My 2000 Honda is fast approaching 200,000.

Had a few things to replace, though only through wear and tear - alternator (£25, fitted), starter motor (£25, fitted), suspension bushes (£45, fitted), exhaust section (£95, fitted), tyres (£35 each, fitted), bulbs (£1.50ish each), Ignition issue (factory recall which I'd missed for free fix, £25), new brake pads and front wishbone (£180, fitted).

Oh, and it starts first time (in all weathers so far:)). No power steering leaks, no water leaks, no oil leaks, no brake fluid leaks ... Still very responsive:D. It has got a dent in one of the rear doors though.

No rust on my 193,xxx miled Honda.

I've known four people with Nissans and can agree with you on that.

They were the same back in the early eighties when the were Datsun.

Peugeot - no contest - galvanised body never rots. We had a 1988 305 that sailed through 5 tests and only had to get rid of it because some silly person ran into back of it when my OH was waiting at red light when he looked in rear mirror and saw car heading towards him, thought he's not stopping and braced himself for impact. Other guys insurance wouldn't pay for damage as they said it was more than car was worth so we had to scrap it. Engine had gone round clock almost 3 times. We were devastated, it was a classic to us. We now have 406. We've also had two 405's - one was written off in accident and we sold other for more than we paid to upgrade to our present car

Archived