Which are the most reliable cars to buy?

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, some Buick, Chevrolet and Ford models.

BMW, Mercededs and Volkswagen overall average reliability but BMW and MERC expensive to repair

A lot depends on how you maintain the car though. Even the best can end up clunkers if not taken care of.

Most rice-burners seem to be pretty reliable.

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2011/02/toyota_recalls_another_2_million_cars_apology_needed.html

Toyota may not have had electronic throttle issues. But certainly the company had plenty of other problems. Just today, Toyota announced its biggest recall in a year. The Japanese auto giant recalled 2.17 million vehicles because of carpet and floor mat flaws that could jam gas pedals. Toyota has recalled more than 12 million vehicles globally since November 2009...

...Surely that must be ever car they've built in the last 5 years.

or to update on todays latest news..

http://www.freep.com/article/20110630/BUSINESS01/106300518/Toyota-recall-hybrid-SUVs

Toyota said Wednesday it will recall about 82,200 hybrid SUVs in the U.S. because of computer boards with possible faulty wiring.

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, some Buick, Chevrolet and Ford models.

BMW, Mercededs and Volkswagen overall average reliability but BMW and MERC expensive to repair

A lot depends on how you maintain the car though. Even the best can end up clunkers if not taken care of.

Forget Ford they are a pile of poo, we've had 4 and apart from Cortina Crusader which some low life stole the other 3 were junk on wheels

Had a few things to replace, though only through wear and tear - alternator (£25, fitted), starter motor (£25, fitted), suspension bushes (£45, fitted), exhaust section (£95, fitted), tyres (£35 each, fitted), bulbs (£1.50ish each), Ignition issue (factory recall which I'd missed for free fix, £25), new brake pads and front wishbone (£180, fitted).

As if by magic, on Friday the crankshaft pulley decided to part company with the crankshaft itself (which meant the timing belt, alternator belt and power steering belt all detached themselves) at the traffic lights at Neepsend Land and Rutland Road.

Managed to (somehow) drive to D L Autos who have refitted and checked the engine, and no damage has been done (100 metres with no timing belt):o.

Price?

£40.00

I've recommended them (D L Autos) before, but feel I must offer them a massive thanks for fitting my car in at such short notice (10:00 am, with a full workshop) and another recommendation:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
The Mk1 MR2 was prone to rust though, as is the Mazda MX5 on the rear arches and sills.
Correct on that, I had to have mine done last year on our...13 year old ('98 ) MX5, as they were starting to bubble. It is a very well known issue with the Mk1. Deepcar Autobodies is the place you want to go to, 'painterdave' is the automotive Michaelangelo and people take their '5s' to him from as far as London!

We bought in February 2000 at about 14kmiles (we are the 2nd owner), serviced once to twice a year since (depending on annual mileage, and always main dealer, then MX-5 Motors at Carcroft since 2009), currently about 67kmiles on, and in daily use over nearly the entire period (was our only car between 2000 and 2004).

One major service (all belts dones, tanks cleaned, all fluids replaced, etc.) by main dealer at 48kmiles, after it'd been dry-stored for nearly two years while we were living in Ireland. I had the main dealer come fetch it from storage with a low loader, to avoid cranking it at all until it was all done.

It's always been garaged (we're probably the only people on our estate who still use our garage as, er... a garage! :D) and started first time after I'd had to abandon it in the snow for 5 days (in the "A57/Anston Snow Chaos" of December 2010).

It has never once failed an MOT, or even got an advisory for that matter. Jut had it serviced last Saturday, actually, and got complimented on the condition, mechanical and general - as usual ;)

If you want "most reliable", the first thing to consider before checking car makes and models and 'reliability charts', is how do you usually maitain you car(s) and to what standards. Then you can start looking at recall histories, known gremlins and such like.

E.g. compared to the MX5, and famed as they are (were?) for their "bullet-proof reliability", I've had a ton of hassle with our newer (and just as well-maintained, by Monty's then by Europa) Subaru Imprezas during the same time period. No end of trouble with a petrol 2006 hawkeye, particularly the power steering pump (failing time and again, in the end I thought it had be a design fault).

Archived