Which are the most reliable cars to buy?

As if by magic, on Friday the crankshaft pulley decided to part company with the crankshaft itself (which meant the timing belt, alternator belt and power steering belt all detached themselves) at the traffic lights at Neepsend Land and Rutland Road.

Managed to (somehow) drive to D L Autos who have refitted and checked the engine, and no damage has been done (100 metres with no timing belt).

If the timing belt had detached itself, I trust you had to free wheel to the garage.

Regards

Angel

Nissan mechanically but not electrically. I'm not sure which models but some have Renault electrics, my Primera P12 for example shares the same electronics as a Laguna. Every fault I've had has been electrical.

I've had three Nissans, body work and engines are sound, my last Primera was showing 150k miles and didn't use a drop of oil.

Nissan mechanically but not electrically. I'm not sure which models but some have Renault electrics, my Primera P12 for example shares the same electronics as a Laguna. Every fault I've had has been electrical.

I've had three Nissans, body work and engines are sound, my last Primera was showing 150k miles and didn't use a drop of oil.

The 2004 to 2007 350Z had the crap Renault engine 280 BHP - the one that Clarkson slags off, but after that they put in the 313 BHP Jap engine, boy can you tell a difference. The 370Z is only about 321 BHP.

Toyota as they are fairly bulletproof

I bought her a P reg Carina E for £1500 7 years ago. 6 mot's later with no fails apart from needing a set of 4 tyres 2 sets of wiper blades and 1 number plate bulb later.

I trust you had to free wheel to the garage

Nope.

Which is why I'm amazed that no damage was done to the engine (I've had one let go on me before, which resulted in the - open - valves smashing into the pistons).

Nope.

Which is why I'm amazed that no damage was done to the engine (I've had one let go on me before, which resulted in the - open - valves smashing into the pistons).

then it wasnt your timing belt.

if the bottom half isnt telling the top half what to do, there is no way an engine will run. Only way you can get away with a timing belt going is at TDC when the valves are closed otherwise you will be seeing rods and valves coming out where they shouldnt!:hihi:

• 1 month later...

Archived