Which are the most reliable cars to buy?

then it wasnt your timing belt.

if the bottom half isnt telling the top half what to do, there is no way an engine will run. Only way you can get away with a timing belt going is at TDC when the valves are closed otherwise you will be seeing rods and valves coming out where they shouldnt!:hihi:

That's what I meant to say, you have hit the nail on the head.

Regards

Angel.

Toyota & Honda , NO COMPETITION !!!! my last 14 cars have been japs & i can honestly say that all they have ever needed is regular services . There used to be a saying that the only time you opened the bonnet on a honda was when it is being serviced .

My wife has a Saab 9-3 Convertible, it's three years old now so is getting a bit long in the tooth but has been a very reliable little runaround.

My car on the other hand cost more than the average persons house but is always in the garage!:huh: Great fun to drive though so I tend to put up and shut up about the odd niggle.:)

As if by magic, on Friday the crankshaft pulley decided to part company with the crankshaft itself (which meant the timing belt, alternator belt and power steering belt all detached themselves) at the traffic lights at Neepsend Land and Rutland Road.

Managed to (somehow) drive to D L Autos who have refitted and checked the engine, and no damage has been done (100 metres with no timing belt):o.

Price?

£40.00

There is 100%, absolutely, positooovely NO WAY a car will drive without the timing belt.

There is also the same likeliness that a reputable garage would refit the belt once it has come off !!

OR do it for only £40 !!

What is more likely to have happened is that the auxiliary crankshaft pulley came loose, making the auxiliary belt(s) come loose (power steering, alternator etc) whilst leaving the timing belt intact (on most cars). This makes a lot more sense with what you are describing. The auxiliary crankshaft pulley is usually a pressed steel pulley that fits over the main crankshaft pulley.

We've had 5 Audi's over the years without any major problems, just looking at a BMW X3 2.0 tdi, as we need the boot space, and I quite fancy a 4x4 now that I'm retired and hardly do any urban driving.

I have friends who have Honda's and Toyota's who swear by them, I reckon that most cars are OK these days.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's no such thing as a reliable or cheap car to run once they are past 5 years old. Cars are an essential, yet still a luxury part of our society. That old saying, "once you have a car you have no money" is very true.

But so's, "Use public transport and you spend most of your life waiting for the bus getting pssd wet"

Archived