Woodbourn Rd running track closure

Does anyone know of any possibility of saving the track from closing down? According to The Star last week the track closes at end of July due not being able to continue the expense of maintenance etc. Would be a shame to lose it, it is handy for use during daytime for anyone wanting to train as in doing interval running.

Does anyone know of any possibility of saving the track from closing down? According to The Star last week the track closes at end of July due not being able to continue the expense of maintenance etc. Would be a shame to lose it, it is handy for use during daytime for anyone wanting to train as in doing interval running.

Nobody uses it during the day. Lots of schools are moaning that it will close, yet none of them book it during the day and will only use it when someone else pays for it.

It's a good facility but if it's not being used then sell it off.

Adding onto this, in the last few days in the Star there have been numerous school sports events for athletics - yet every single one has been at the EIS in Attercliffe.

Surely that explains why it is shutting - nobody uses it!

Yes a train track to the pros!- but a great stadium to young uns and amaturs like my self.

a track like this gets you in the mood for the big time.

i think its disgusting that it is closing, i was listening to radio sheffield the other day-

did you know we the tax payers are funding the 2012 olympics (2weeks of fun) £250 each approx

.............and at the same time stadiums/ sunday league pitches are closing

Yes a train track to the pros!- but a great stadium to young uns and amaturs like my self.

a track like this gets you in the mood for the big time.

i think its disgusting that it is closing, i was listening to radio sheffield the other day-

did you know we the tax payers are funding the 2012 olympics (2weeks of fun) £250 each approx

.............and at the same time stadiums/ sunday league pitches are closing

But nobody uses it! Should the people of Sheffield continue to pay for a facility that is not used? It's a track and field and can be booked by anyone, but nobody uses it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be a shame to lose it, but as they say "use it or lose it" so looks like the latter.

I use it for interval running every week in the daytime, only got it now until end of month. Used to go Don Valley stadium but often something is going on and you can't get on it, unless I have been unlucky and picked wrong days :-)

Don Valley i believe are making a loss on the site so clsoing it too push everything to Don Valley.

There have been enquires as to it being bought but not neccessarily as a track

Powerleague remains open as it is a seperate company

as a representative at the Commonwelath games last year i can honestly say that i use that track alot more than don valley or eis especially in the days when they are both shut. i think its rubbish that the track is closing down and i would personally love the chance to get the track back up and running. all it needs is a fence around it to stop everyone sneaking onto it and charge a little bit less but its a huge shame to close it down as if the council hadnt let nearly 90% of the equipment get condemed a few years ago, make a mess of the throws area and didnt charge rediculus amounts for people using the track everyday it would be really busy. plus it cost the council to have the track relaid at the same time as don valley which would be a waste.

to be honest if they are intent on shutting it down they should at least wait until the end of the athletics season to do so.

Archived