Is this music from Star Trek? Star Wars? Help!

There is ample precedent, even a case wherein a mere two notes were sufficient for a finding of infringement ;)

Were the two notes repeated or something?

I heard an interesting question on BBC Radio 4's Homework Sucks! about the combinations of music notes and eventually they would all be used. It is just mathematics.

I know what you mean (probably the first 5 or 6 notes are identical, but not the rest), however it is still distinctive enough to have reminded me straight away of the Jurassic Park score (despite not having seen the film in years).

In terms of liability, the composer may claim whatever he wants about originality until he is blue in the face, but those first few notes would likely still be deemed to constitute a "substantial part" of the work (this is a legal test) and, therefore, constitute infringement.

There is ample precedent, even a case wherein a mere two notes were sufficient for a finding of infringement ;)

if its under 15 seconds then its free in the uk and the majority of countries.

if its under 15 seconds then its free in the uk and the majority of countries.
:huh:

I would certainly welcome an indication of the relevant CDPA 1988 section and/or relevant precedent for that '15 second' exception. In the UK, never mind 'universal'.

In the meantime, some light lunch reading for any person interested about musical copyright infringement and the arduous subject of 'substantiality'.

:huh:

I would certainly welcome an indication of the relevant CDPA 1988 section and/or relevant precedent for that '15 second' exception. In the UK, never mind 'universal'.

In the meantime, some light lunch reading for any person interested about musical copyright infringement and the arduous subject of 'substantiality'.

each country is different but there are only a few countries that dominate the media industry and even less that do so in the music sub genre.

in the uk we have what is called "fair dealing" which is anything up to 10% of the material in question. the 15 seconds is a rule of thumb used in the media industry and why the likes of itv can use recently released music tracks in their own advertising (for shows etc) without pay for every second. the bbc on the other hand have a blanket agreement so they can use what ever they like for how ever long they like.

there are only a few countries that dominate the media industry and even less that do so in the music sub genre.
Nothing to do with copyright as such. May well have something to do with copyright ownership, but that's another kettle of fish altogether.

in the uk we have what is called "fair dealing" which is anything up to 10% of the material in question.
Again, where is your source for this '10%'?

the 15 seconds is a rule of thumb used in the media industry and why the likes of itv can use recently released music tracks in their own advertising (for shows etc) without pay for every second. the bbc on the other hand have a blanket agreement so they can use what ever they like for how ever long they like.
That doesn't really answer my query, sorry.

The ITV and BBC examples you use are definitely not "fair dealing" (which covers non-commercial use only, as defined by CDPA 1988 S29, S30 and S178 plus a few more obscure cross-refs), they are a straightforward licensed use.

Nothing to do with copyright as such. May well have something to do with copyright ownership, but that's another kettle of fish altogether.

your confusing me here. if ownership is nothing to do with the copyright, then what is it?

Again, where is your source for this '10%'?

look up fair dealing in uk copyright law, its there.

That doesn't really answer my query, sorry.

The ITV and BBC examples you use are definitely not "fair dealing" (which covers non-commercial use only, as defined by CDPA 1988 S29, S30 and S178 plus a few more obscure cross-refs), they are a straightforward licensed use.

i wasn't answering a question but giving examples of two media organisations who do and don't use this part of the law. itv do one thing while the bbc do another.

Do you know what I could never understand? The beginning of this song. How was this allowed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jcb13BuBwk

Because the composer has been dead for a long time?

Thanks for making me watch that utter dire performance in the OP by the way, and the falsest most talentless bunch of peeps I've seen in a long time.

As for the score, it sounds like something from Notts Landing or Falcon Crest.

Star Wars!! :rant: Star Wars!! :rolleyes: Star Wars!! :hihi::hihi:

How are you Darth Vader? Great to see you.

Because the composer has been dead for a long time?

In the same way people can quote old books for free?

Thanks for making me watch that utter dire performance in the OP by the way, and the falsest most talentless bunch of peeps I've seen in a long time.

Bah ha ha ha ha I was just coming in here to post "I love how I am sneakily getting you all to watch Eurovision Song Contest!"

Star Wars!! :rant: Star Wars!! :rolleyes: Star Wars!! :hihi::hihi:

I am sorry. I do not do mainstream television or music.

As for the score, it sounds like something from Notts Landing or Falcon Crest.

And that is why I do not watch television. They do not make shows like that anymore!

Archived