How important is it for a goalkeeper to get proper training?

im no longer a keeper, but from past experiences all i can say is, if you go to 4 or 5 group training sessions either down at the united academy or wherever else does them, they teach you top knowledge on just the basics and then stuff you probably wouldnt even think of before. stuff like improving your footwork, handling, composure and then how to improve your jumps etc.. they really do help and talk you through it alot, pushy as they may be sometimes, but well worth it (sorry for the grammar its early! haha)

One of my kids has been a keeper for 5 years and GK training was an absolute must! She regularly went to the Leanne Hall training school when she started which was excellent. As an ex - England player she trains boys and girls - don't know what you do as an adult. My partner was a GK so helps her out now but I'd say yes, GKs need (and deserve) GK training.

Archived