Tenancy Deposit Protection scheme

so a thread I was on got pulled recently regarding a well known sheffield estate agents my OH and I like to call <Removed>

Can I ask (without casting ANY aspersions) if anyone has had any experience using the Tenancy Deposit Protection scheme to arbitrate disputes regarding the return of deposits?

It looks like we might be using them soon as I am not sure the tactics currently being used on us are legit. Again, don't want to cast aspersions... yet!

not on the situation, I did that before and the thread got pulled which I am quite upset about.

I was just wondering if people had used the protection scheme and what kind of thoughts they had about it.

Fair enough,

The deposit is protected by the scheme and we have been returned the none disputed part. It was at this point that they asked if they could talk to us on the phone rather than email, which just made me suspicious.

So we have part of the deposit being disputed which if I understand correctly they have 10 working days to sort out before we can go to the TDS. I was just interested in peoples thoughts experiences with it, fairness ease of use etc.

Hi

My sister was involved in a dispute with her landlady about her deposit of £600. The landlady basically wanted to take it all on ridiculous grounds because she kept that house spotless. It was taken to the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme and she got £550 back so it's definately worth it, although it took a couple of months and quite a few phonecalls for the Agency to pull their finger out, so I'd say keep at it until something gets done because once it was with the TDPS, it was sorted pretty quickly!

We had big problemswith a private landlord, not estate agent. They tried to charge us hundreds of quid by saying we had left the house in a mess but we'd taken pics of it spotless when we left. They seemed like a nice normal couple wth a family but the way they started money-grabbing at the end was quite funny and showed what they were like. My boyfriend even got threatening phone calls from the bloke! They didn't even try to go through the DPS as we just told them there was no point as we had proof. So it worked I guess. Some landlords just see a deposit as free money.

The deposit is protected by the scheme and we have been returned the none disputed part. It was at this point that they asked if they could talk to us on the phone rather than email, which just made me suspicious.

Keep it by email so you have a record. Tell them you want to eliminate the possibility of anyone missremembering what was discussed if they question it.

That's what I thought. I told them as much. They have a poor track record of answering our questions and I didn't want them to think we had made an agreement over the phone which they would later renege on.

Its all so stressful and unnecessary. Glad some people have used it to good effect I hope it can help us too, otherwise we'll end up losing over £700.

• 3 months later...

I think we are about to have to use this. Our landlord is trying to charge us for:

piant spots on the window sills (we have not painted anything),

cobwebs (fair enough I didn't get them down),

oven cleaning-I will let them have that,

not vacuuming (we did),

not cleaning the bathroom and kitchen (we did),

not cleaning inside the bedroom cupboards (I did but thats mental!)

breaking the fireplace beyond repair (ur nothing wrong with that when we left)

marks on the radiator etc

The property was in need of decorating when we took it on and we have been there 3 years. What happened to wear and tear?

They want £350..ur no!

They have sent us photos of the damage and dirt which show no damage or dirt? Didn't even attempt to send a photo of the fireplace that is damaged beyond repair??

Bloomin ridiculous people!! This was a letting agent by the way, one that never bothered fixing anything we reported broken anyway.

Archived