Time to ban ice cream vans ? they are loud and encourage obesity

Is it responsible for an ice cream van to pull up near a childrens play area and sell ice creams? why do they have to go to locations where children tend to be?

Ice cream vans encourage obesity and we are all going to have to pick up the tab when these children pile on the pounds and need NHS treatment later in life.

Ice cream vans also tend to play jingles such as nursey rhymes many of which have a slight edge towards racism, some even have war jingles (ie like the one at Woodseats as it played "hitler has only got one b*ll...etc). So one the grounds of racism they should also be banned

Health and safety, children running towards the ice cream van, or crossing the road to purchase and ice cream van. Does this not put children in danger? who will take responsiblility if they trip, i reckon not the ice cream man who will be more interested in selling ice creams to other kids

And what about noise, this goes back to the jingles the ice cream van plays to warn everyone the "fat machine" is on its way, surely this is noise pollution at its worst? not to mention the kids shouting and screaming when they hear that the ice cream van is on its way

Ban ice cream vans - they are a thing of the past?

Encourage obesity, are racist and a danger

Don't know what you were smoking when you posted this, but can I have some ?.

I agree with Denlin, we should close all Burger KIngs and McDonalds.

With regards McDonalds, I do worry that the Mcdonalds clown should be banned. It could lull kids into a false sense of security and they believe all adults are friendly, which of course is not ture. McDonalds food encourages obesity.

With regards the ADI for Ice Cream vans, the drivers should also have a medical every week. A nominal charge of £100 should cover this, what would happen if an ice cream van pulled into a park and the van driver suffered a heart attack when he approached the park? his foot may get stuck on the accelerator and he would end up driving around the park smashing into slides.

The ADI (advanced driving) would be useful as he in effect is driving off road.

I beileve that if ice cream vans do exsist, then they should only be allowed to park up at least 2 miles away from the nearest play park. The obesity epedemic is something that should worry us all

I hope they don't stop ice cream vans! I love that little tradition - the same as I do having a milk man. The school that I used to go to had a great ice cream man - I doubt you'll find one as nice as him. Hearing the jingle of an ice cream van cheers me up whether I'm going to buy one or not. I guess it brings me back to my childhood.

Obviously if your kid is buying several ice creams a day they will put on weight, but the odd ice cream now and then won't do much harm - my parents allowed me an ice cream every Friday after school and I turned out ok, lol!

With regards to closing McDonald's and Burger King, I would say yes, but that's only because I'm a veggie, hehe!

I am not sure they do, as Ice Cream vans have been around since the 1950s, probably earlier than this, and we certainly were not obese then - its seems to have occurred in the last 20/30 years. Its more likely caused by the 24 hour food culture, fast foods such as burgers and pizza and the high calories sugary treats available in supermarkets these days

I agree with Denlin, we should close all Burger KIngs and McDonalds.

With regards McDonalds, I do worry that the Mcdonalds clown should be banned. It could lull kids into a false sense of security and they believe all adults are friendly, which of course is not ture. McDonalds food encourages obesity.

With regards the ADI for Ice Cream vans, the drivers should also have a medical every week. A nominal charge of £100 should cover this, what would happen if an ice cream van pulled into a park and the van driver suffered a heart attack when he approached the park? his foot may get stuck on the accelerator and he would end up driving around the park smashing into slides.

The ADI (advanced driving) would be useful as he in effect is driving off road.

I beileve that if ice cream vans do exsist, then they should only be allowed to park up at least 2 miles away from the nearest play park. The obesity epedemic is something that should worry us all

Our ice-cream van outside school had much more concern for the child obesity epidemic, he used to sell a single fag and match for 10p which left little enough to buy the artery clogging frozen muck.

Our ice-cream van outside school had much more concern for the child obesity epidemic, he used to sell a single fag and match for 10p which left little enough to buy the artery clogging frozen muck.

That's right, our local shop used to sell single fags, but you had to bring your own matches. I read a report yesterday, which said smokers are less likely to be obese ... bring back the selling of single fags to kids. Problem solved. :D

That's right, our local shop used to sell single fags, but you had to bring your own matches. I read a report yesterday, which said smokers are less likely to be obese ... bring back the selling of single fags to kids. Problem solved. :D

:loopy::rant:

And the OP is :loopy: as well, banning ice cream vans = won't happen.

Sue, really? Would have thought it's over eating causing obesity. I, for one, don't have many problems with the van when it comes. The kids know when they get to have sweets and when they don't.

The ice-cream guys need the jobs etc etc

Archived