Time to ban ice cream vans ? they are loud and encourage obesity

Hey! ... don't knock ice cream vans! I'm thinking of getting one (with my G/F) to market my latest flavour which is only half fat.

Only half of it's double cream ... the rest's advocaat with maraschino cherries.

Made a couple of pints yesterday and am still recovering!:D

Only cost about twenty quid! :gag:

Oh heavens above, you can't tempt me with yet another concoction - proper snowballs (don't forget to add a good measure of lime to the advocaat!). I'm in - I'll look out for the van with Alco Tarantino on the side, playing Pulp Fiction- Misirlou.:love::hihi:

Surely encouraging children to run out to the ice cream van is healthier than having them sitting in their rooms all day playing on computer games? You are supposed to encourage them to take their eyes off the screen for at least 10 minutes every hour to protect their eyesight.

Ice cream vans also tend to play jingles such as nursey rhymes many of which have a slight edge towards racism, some even have war jingles (ie like the one at Woodseats as it played "hitler has only got one b*ll...etc). So one the grounds of racism they should also be banned

Racism in ice cream van jingles is the least of your worries, most of those jingles have words that make me blush everytime I hear them being played.

Popeye The Sailorman is actually Boss-eye The Icecream man, I'd tell you what the lady got on her cornet when she asked for sauce, but this is a familly forum.

And the others are worse.

Does anybody know where I can get a CD of these jingles?

I agree with Denlin, we should close all Burger KIngs and McDonalds.

I wasn't suggesting that at all I was saying that what causes obesity is lack of exercise and eating in excess. Ice cream and burgers are ok in moderation combined with exercise. It is up to parents to police what their children eat and to encourage them to exercise. The sad fact is that a lot of parents today just give in to their kids and are quite happy to let them sit in front of TV or computer all day - this is what will cause obesity. We had a TV when I was a child but I very rarely watched it. We made our own entertainment outside, winter and summer and it all involved exercise, rounders, tennis, cricket, sledging in winter etc

Is it responsible for an ice cream van to pull up near a childrens play area and sell ice creams? why do they have to go to locations where children tend to be?

Ice cream vans encourage obesity and we are all going to have to pick up the tab when these children pile on the pounds and need NHS treatment later in life.

Ice cream vans also tend to play jingles such as nursey rhymes many of which have a slight edge towards racism, some even have war jingles (ie like the one at Woodseats as it played "hitler has only got one b*ll...etc). So one the grounds of racism they should also be banned

Health and safety, children running towards the ice cream van, or crossing the road to purchase and ice cream van. Does this not put children in danger? who will take responsiblility if they trip, i reckon not the ice cream man who will be more interested in selling ice creams to other kids

And what about noise, this goes back to the jingles the ice cream van plays to warn everyone the "fat machine" is on its way, surely this is noise pollution at its worst? not to mention the kids shouting and screaming when they hear that the ice cream van is on its way

Ban ice cream vans - they are a thing of the past?

Encourage obesity, are racist and a danger

Yes, they ought to play Men of Harlech, out of the film Zulu.

Archived