Car tax reminder help

If you apply and pay for your new road tax online today, and print out the page at the end which shows you have done so, to put in your windscreen, you might get away with it.

If not from tomorrow it will appear as a vehicle without tax or a SORN. I would think that would flag up automatically on a police car's ANPR systems.

If you apply and pay for your new road tax online today, and print out the page at the end which shows you have done so, to put in your windscreen, you might get away with it.

If not from tomorrow it will appear as a vehicle without tax or a SORN. I would think that would flag up automatically on a police car's ANPR systems.

I assume OP saying she can't tax it until the 8th, is probably because she has no money to do so until the 8th

Due to a major administrative ****-up (ie I completely forgot :)), ours didn't get renewed for ages. I got a letter through saying "IT'S YOUR LAST CHANCE!", but that didn't come through until the middle of the month *after* - so when it was 6 weeks overdue.

We may get a fine in due course, but managed to avoid any spot fines - helps that it's our second car and only gets used for a relatively small number of shortish journeys. I wouldn't have dared drive on any major roads that might had had ANPR cameras... once I knew about it of course!

For what it's worth, when I finally renewed it the website said that it was backdated a month but still left a gap and I was liable for the offence. I've never had that before, and have occasionally done it up to a week late - so I wouldn't sweat it too much about the 8th unless you need to do some long journeys.

Thanks for your replies, it's not that I havent got the money I'm not in Sheffield and haven't got the reminder letter or my log book with me and you can't tax it by telephone or online without one of them!

Think I'll just risk it, I'm not using the car and it's on my drive until I return.

Does anyone know how long can you leave it before you tax your car? Its due today but I'm not able to tax it till 8th... Is that too late?

Thanks

(I would phone dvla but there on strike!!)

oh dear, the tax expires at midnight on the last day of the month. after that your car is not taxed unless an application is in with d.v.l.a. if you use the car and it is picked up by apnr camera it is notified as untaxed. and i am wondering how this affects your insurance if you get a pull. dvla send out reminders at least 2 weeks before renewal is due, so there is plenty of notice given. and just out of curiosity what is the situation on your mot? this could be expensive!!

and just out of curiosity what is the situation on your mot? this could be expensive!!

The mot is fine, just my partner was going to do it since it come, but surprise surprise he didn't now I'm not in Sheffield and it's not taxed!!

Archived