Would you pay a bit more for fuel if it meant no vehicle excise duty?

I think it would surely be a better idea if we perhaps paid 2p* per more per litre of fuel and didn't have to pay road tax/VED.

For one I think it would reduce the amount of police time spent on road tax evaders. The more miles you do, the more tax you pay so it's fairer.

Surely this is a simpler system?

* 2p might be a bit excessive over the year for the average driver. It was a figure I pulled out.

I think it would surely be a better idea if we perhaps paid 2p* per more per litre of fuel and didn't have to pay road tax/VED.

For one I think it would reduce the amount of police time spent on road tax evaders.

Yeah but if someone hasn't got a tax disc there's a fair chance they're driving without insurance as well.

How would we easily spot the uninsured menaces without the road fund licence?

Yeah but if someone hasn't got a tax disc there's a fair chance they're driving without insurance as well.

We should scrap VED, and save the cost of administering the system. By adding it to fuel costs, then payment is directly related to use and fuel efficiency.

We should then require a valid insurance certificate and a valid MOT to be displayed in the windscreen. The insurance companies and the MOT forms could include little stickers as part of their documentaion, at little marginal cost. Having said that, with number plate recognition giving police automatic checking of insurance and MOT status,even this might not be necessary.

We should scrap VED, and save the cost of administering the system. By adding it to fuel costs, then payment is directly related to use and fuel efficiency.

We should then require a valid insurance certificate and a valid MOT to be displayed in the windscreen. The insurance companies and the MOT forms could include little stickers as part of their documentaion, at little marginal cost.

Bet the charge would be roughly equal to what we pay in VED.

computerisation now means police can now check to see if the vehicle is front of them is insured while they're tailing the suspect vehicle. It takes seconds.

it's been really effective at reducing police time. People driving without insurance just get instantly nailed. That's good. But what's better is that it's also reduced dramatically the large number of people that used to have to go to police stations with their insurance cover notes, within 7 days (the 'producer'), having come under suspicion that they might not be insured. That's been a bonanza in freeing police resources.

computerisation now means police can now check to see if the vehicle is front of them is insured while they're tailing the suspect vehicle. It takes seconds.

it's been really effective at reducing police time. People driving without insurance just get instantly nailed. That's good. But what's better is that it's also reduced dramatically the large number of people that used to have to go to police stations with their insurance cover notes, within 7 days (the 'producer'), having come under suspicion that they might not be insured. That's been a bonanza in freeing police resources.

Yeah - but having the police checking out untaxed / uninsured vehicles is expensive. If people aren't displaying a tax disc then it is quite easy for anyone to report them.

I agree completely, scrap tax and increase fuel tax, as a principle its fantastic.

However that would mean asking the govt (any party) to calculate an amount to add to fuel to compensate... and I personally don't trust them to play fair.

If adding 1p (arbitrary figure) was the mathematical amount... I bet you my months wage they would add 2p, I know it's only 1p more per litre, but it's stealth sneaky and unfair.

Just my 2 penneth (excuse the pun)

Yeah - but having the police checking out untaxed / uninsured vehicles is expensive. If people aren't displaying a tax disc then it is quite easy for anyone to report them.

Why is it expensive ,has stated it takes seconds and the computers are already in place,to check reported vehicles would be more expensive and time consuming plus what if someone just has a grudge against another ,reports and police have to waste time checking it out.

I agree completely, scrap tax and increase fuel tax, as a principle its fantastic.

However that would mean asking the govt (any party) to calculate an amount to add to fuel to compensate... and I personally don't trust them to play fair.

If adding 1p (arbitrary figure) was the mathematical amount... I bet you my months wage they would add 2p, I know it's only 1p more per litre, but it's stealth sneaky and unfair.

Just my 2 penneth (excuse the pun)

I agree 100%. It would just give the government to opportunity to raise taxes through the back door.

Has anyone considered the disabled who need the use of a vehicle and get free road tax?

Are they suddenly to loose their independance?

Archived