Would you pay a bit more for fuel if it meant no vehicle excise duty?

Don't go there! Don't even think about it! If you have nightmares about it, forget them!

If you're not having nightmares yet - now's the time to start.

I live in a place which doesn't bother with road tax. It was argued that road tax (VED or whatever you wanted to call it) was inefficient. Far better to add a 'realistic' tax to road fuel. - A tax which would reflect usage. (The tax would be realistic - well, that's their dream

The dream turned out to be a nightmare! - Need money? - stick it on the fuel tax. They did. - And if they needed money for other purposes that went on the fuel tax, too.

I'm not a wise economist. (I've got a master's degree, but I don't work for nothing :))

Perhaps - at some time in the future - some body is going to hold the UK economists (those who concur with the 'masterplan' culpable.

That would be fair.

...Would you mind holding your breath?

I have other things to do.

Why is it expensive ,has stated it takes seconds and the computers are already in place,to check reported vehicles would be more expensive and time consuming plus what if someone just has a grudge against another ,reports and police have to waste time checking it out.

It is more expensive as it puts all the onus on the police to do the checking. Don't know how much an hour they cost.

We wouldn't catch the ones like on this thread.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810930

VED is something you only pay out for once or twice per year, but once or twice a WEEK I cringe at how much the fuel is.

I'd rather pay £10/£20 extra on the VED to bring the fuel down.

If we take the 2p/L increase as suggested in the OP and myself as an example then I would save around £160/yr based on:

Fuel: 52 litres/week, 2704 litres/yr

Distance: 415 miles/wk, 21.5K/yr

An extra 2p/L equates to £54 as opposed to £215/yr road tax. So on that basis I'd be all for it. Can't see it happening though, certainly not at 2p/l anyway.

I wouldn't welcome it at all - my road tax is only £30 per year - that wouldn't buy much extra-priced petrol!

Using the 2p/l stated in the OP you could get 1500L of fuel for you £30. If we assume 40mpg for your car that's 13333miles.

jb

I think it would cost more than a penny or two a litre.

I do about 10,000 miles a year - pretty close to the average - I reckon I get about 30 mpg given a fair bit of my mileage is around town. That means I buy 333 gallons of petrol a year. My car tax is £210 pa for my Mondeo - a pretty average sort of car.

So to generate the same revenue from a pretty average car doing average mileage petrol would have to go up 63p per gallon or 14p per litre.

Even if I had a smaller car - eg a Fiesta then I reckon we'd easily be looking at about 5p per litre / 22p per gallon.

If we take the 2p/L increase as suggested in the OP and myself as an example then I would save around £160/yr based on:

Fuel: 52 litres/week, 2704 litres/yr

Distance: 415 miles/wk, 21.5K/yr

An extra 2p/L equates to £54 as opposed to £215/yr road tax. So on that basis I'd be all for it. Can't see it happening though, certainly not at 2p/l anyway.

Using the 2p/l stated in the OP you could get 1500L of fuel for you £30. If we assume 40mpg for your car that's 13333miles.

jb

Eh? £30 at todays price (lets say £1.35 per litre) would buy me only 22.22 litres - enough to cover about 180 miles - about 2 weeks motoring.

Archived