Would you pay a bit more for fuel if it meant no vehicle excise duty?

I agree 100%. It would just give the government to opportunity to raise taxes through the back door.

Has anyone considered the disabled who need the use of a vehicle and get free road tax?Are they suddenly to loose their independance?

And another one !

Eh? £30 at todays price (lets say £1.35 per litre) would buy me only 22.22 litres - enough to cover about 180 miles - about 2 weeks motoring.

Yes but we would be swapping the £30 for an extra 2p a litre on petrol (it would need to be more in reality) but at 2p a litre extra you have to buy a lot of fuel before those 2p add up to £30.

I think it would surely be a better idea if we perhaps paid 2p* per more per litre of fuel and didn't have to pay road tax/VED.

For one I think it would reduce the amount of police time spent on road tax evaders. The more miles you do, the more tax you pay so it's fairer.

Surely this is a simpler system?

* 2p might be a bit excessive over the year for the average driver. It was a figure I pulled out.

With the amount of fuel I currently use, even a small rise would outweigh the cost of the VED for my vehicle, so I would have to say no.

I can see the sense in the proposal, but the cynic in me says that if there were to be a change, we'd all probably end up paying more ;)

It automatically penalises less efficient vehicles and your costs depend on your usage.

Errr - no - it would tend to penalise drivers who currently pay low vehicle excise duty.

Somebody on the lowest rate only pays a seventh of what I currently pay. They sure aren't going to get seven times as many miles to the gallon as me.

The main winners would largely be those who pay high VED but do below average miles.

Yes but we would be swapping the £30 for an extra 2p a litre on petrol (it would need to be more in reality) but at 2p a litre extra you have to buy a lot of fuel before those 2p add up to £30.

Ah!, yes, I see what you mean (Maths was never my strong point:hihi:)

Say I buy approx 50 litres per month - at 2p litre, thats a pound extra per month, ie £12 per year.

Ah!, yes, I see what you mean (Maths was never my strong point:hihi:)

Say I buy approx 50 litres per month - at 2p litre, thats a pound extra per month, ie £12 per year.

Apart from it's going to cost a good deal more than 2p a litre...................

Archived