Where is the Isle of Wight?

The Ferry is comparatively expensive if you take a car.

We went in May, £95 for car and two passengers, week return, from Lymington. I don't know if it goes on size of car etc. cos I'm not the driver....I just sit there and enjoy the view.:hihi:

The Isle of Wight is actually part of the county of Hampshire and is situated in the Solent off the south coast. It can be reached by foot and vehicle ferries from Portsmouth, Southampton and other places close by.

Don't let any Islanders catch you saying such slanderous things! It's most definitely not part of hampshire.

OP: Train to London St P, Underground to London Victoria, Train to Portsmouth Harbour, hop off train and board the 'fast cat' if on foot. Island train runs from Ryde Pier Head (where ferry docks) to Shanklin. If you're going by car then you can either use WightLink to cross from Portsmouth Harbour (next one along from the fast cat) or as someone else has said go to Southampton and cross with RedFunnel.

Like the title says really. Also how do you get there from Sheffield, tried googling but its all double dutch to me!

Chocki hello!!!

The Isle of Wight is a lovely place to have a holiday and to live - I moved here in 2004 from Sheffield!!! There is many a person who has come here on holiday and then decided to move here.

Will you be travelling by car or train?

As many people have already pointed out bringing a car across to the island is pretty expensive. Although I only live a ten minute drive from the Wightlink Yarmouth to Lymington ferry route I tend to drive to East Cowes to get the Red Funnel ferry to Southampton as it works out much cheaper (albeit the ferry journey does take an hour whereas Yarmouth to Lymington is 35 minutes!) But, hey, I'd rather have extra money in my pocket then give it to Wightlink needlessly.

Deciding on which ferry to come across on really depends on where you will be staying on the island.

The Portsmouth route (car ferry) takes you to Fishbourne which is near to Ryde.

If you are going as a foot passenger and staying say in Ryde, Shanklin or Sandown then you would be better getting the fast cast from Portsmouth straight to Ryde.

If you are staying in the West Wight - Cowes, Gurnard, Newport then I would suggest the Red Funnel from Southampton to East Cowes.

The Yarmouth route is also good for Cowes, Newport and also Freshwater, Ventnor.

What is really good about driving around the island is that you cannot get lost!. :hihi:

It's a bit like the saying "all roads lead to London" whereas here it's a case of "all roads lead to Newport"! :hihi:

Hope you enjoy your holiday here Chocki - when are you thinking of coming over?

Oh! one thing to bear in mind if you are coming by foot - Sheffield people are always complaining about the cost of bus fares in Sheffield well, just treble the cost of your fares and that's what a one way ticket will cost you here - the minimum is £2.50! There is a weekly ticket you can buy though for £22 if you are thinking of doing a lot of travelling by bus.

If you are coming by car I would suggest that you check both the Wightlink and Red Funnel websites as the cost depends on what day you are arriving and leaving and the time of crossing. It can be quite cheap if you are prepared to travel on a late night ferry.

Lainieiow

I am going to Portsmouth, and was thinking of going over to the IOW.

Would you happen to know if oap bus passes can be used there, please?

My parents used their OAP passes on the IOW last year. Did the whole Island for free.

Lainieiow

I am going to Portsmouth, and was thinking of going over to the IOW.

Would you happen to know if oap bus passes can be used there, please?

Hi Minimo. Yes you can use the OAP bus pass on the buses. Same rules apply as in Sheffield.

Hope you make it across to the island I am sure you will have an enjoyable time.

Lainey x x

Archived