Why do you bother with TV?

I believe pathetic little worms should sod off.

Jesus H Christ on a couple of sticks. You're obviously a nutter. Get help from a professional.

Perhaps it's just you aren't getting bonked - Again - get help from a professional.

Judging by the content of your colourful posts, you simply don't possess the necessary intellect to engage in meaningful and intelligent debate on here.

I have examined some of your 'back catalogue' forum contributions, and a pattern emerges. You seem to delight in conflict.

You have my sympathy.

Just once is one time too many.

Not really, the law is quite clear, campaign against it if you like, but don't be that surprised if it's actually enforced (and don't lie by exaggeration about how it can be enforced).

So you accept that you have no right to watch whatever you want for free. You have a choice to pay for it or not. I'm glad we agree.

In the UK there is no free to air broadcast, so you can choose to pay for it or not, just like you.

But we can watch certain shows for free, usually local network programs on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and PBS. It would be political suicide for any politician who tried to force a license fee on us. Ii we want to buy cable, that is our choice. Nothing to do with a TV gestapo which you apper to have over there. Somebody mentioned 150 pounds as not exorbitant. I take it he's not an OAP.:)

The shows you can watch are supported by advertising presumably.

I think we've established that there is no freedom issue with regards to being able to watch what you want. You can't, we can't. We have for historical reasons a tax on all broadcast TV, you don't and hence have nothing worth watching on broadcast TV, I'm not saying the system here is good, I'm just saying it's not an issue of rights or freedom.

I think we've established that there is no freedom issue with regards to being able to watch what you want. You can't, we can't. We have for historical reasons a tax on all broadcast TV, you don't and hence have nothing worth watching on broadcast TV, I'm not saying the system here is good, I'm just saying it's not an issue of rights or freedom.

How do you decide for me what is good for me on TV? I will watch whatever I feel like without concerning myself about the commercials involved or simply turn it off. Programs like Blue Bloods, CSI, and Dateline are as good or superior to some of the dross imported from the UK by Simon Cowell or Gordon Ramsay.I pay for cable because I can afford to, not because I'm forced to. That, sir, is freedom. So why not just give it a rest. If I wasn't talking from America, I'm sure we wouldn't even be talking anyway. I'm aware of your attitude to us.

I think we've established that there is no freedom issue with regards to being able to watch what you want. You can't, we can't. We have for historical reasons a tax on all broadcast TV, you don't and hence have nothing worth watching on broadcast TV, I'm not saying the system here is good, I'm ?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

That's a bit of an arrogant assumption isn't it? Are you one of these intellectual snobs who look down on US TV. In your mind "spreading it's pervasive low brow cultural entertainment and polluting the gullible masses" ?

What do you consider worth watching anyway? I'm holding my breath in anticipation of your answer:D

I like US drama's, but they're all US Cable, not US network.

I think I mentioned a few earlier, there isn't much on at the moment (summer lull), but American Dad is good for a 20 minute chuckle. Nikita is on series record, although it's more of a space filler than anything else, Cougar Town (just finished) was surprisingly funny and well written. I've got one episode of tru blood left to watch and then I've got Game of Thrones downloaded.

I pay for cable because I can afford to, not because I'm forced to. That, sir, is freedom. So why not just give it a rest. If I wasn't talking from America, I'm sure we wouldn't even be talking anyway. I'm aware of your attitude to us.

I pay for a TV license because I can afford to, that's the same freedom, nobody makes me buy a TV or cable.

I'm sure I've no idea what you're talking about with that last sentence, I have a US sister in law, have visited the states several times and don't have any problem with you or your country. I disagree with some of your foreign policies, but I disagree with my own government on many things, so that doesn't make you special. :huh:

I pay for a TV license because I can afford to, that's the same freedom, nobody makes me buy a TV or cable.

Well then you are one of the lucky ones.

Many people, particularly the disadvantaged and the elderly, simply cannot afford to pay £145.50 for a TV Licence. So they are denied access to local news and information, as well as entertainment.

And even without a tv, they are still harassed by a greedy BBC that refuses to believe that there are those in our society who struggle to keep warm and put food on the table - never mind paying for super rich 'celebs' and BBC executives to live in luxury...

TV is total crap all over the world.

Why do you have one?

I don't have one.

But even I don't believe that TV is "total crap all over the world".

I do believe that the BBC channels should be digitally scrambled, on a pay-per-view basis. This is something the BBC is terrified of, as it is well aware of the reality that only a tiny minority of people would willingly pay for its content. This is why it resists such a move tooth and nail.

If adults wish to watch free-to-air television they could still access the channels that are paid for by advertising.

Archived