Why do you bother with TV?

Well then you are one of the lucky ones.

Many people, particularly the disadvantaged and the elderly, simply cannot afford to pay £145.50 for a TV Licence. So they are denied access to local news and information, as well as entertainment.

That's simply not true, unless you're claiming that there is no news or local information on the radio.

Many people, particularly the disadvantaged and the elderly, simply cannot afford to pay £145.50 for a TV Licence.
How misleading can your rants get?

So they are denied access to local news and information, as well as entertainment.
Ever heard of newspapers? It's what everyone relied upon before the days of TV. And, do you know, they are still pennies to buy :thumbsup:

Noone has a right to local news and information, as well as entertainment, the last time I checked. Whether televised or otherwise.

TVs are like cars, and any other such inessential luxuries. If you want to enjoy their convenience, you have to pay for pay for the privilege. You are entirely free to decide to do without their convenience, and to save yourself the expense. Elementarily simple.

Not really, the law is quite clear, campaign against it if you like, but don't be that surprised if it's actually enforced (and don't lie by exaggeration about how it can be enforced).

The most effective thing that I can do to damage the BBC is simply not to pay my TV Licence fee - to starve it of funding. I urge everyone to do the same.

Over a million properties in the UK, according to the BBC, that should have a valid TV Licence do not have one. Over a million properties are resisting the might of the powerful BBC.

Truly wonderful.

I'm sure I've no idea what you're talking about with that last sentence, I have a US sister in law, have visited the states several times and don't have any problem with you or your country. I disagree with some of your foreign policies, but I disagree with my own government on many things, so that doesn't make you special. :huh:

Have you never come across Buck or Harleyman before?

You're either with them or against them, it's totally black and white. Oh, and they get to choose which one of those you are.

The most effective thing that I can do to damage the BBC is simply not to pay my TV Licence fee - to starve it of funding. I urge everyone to do the same.

Over a million properties in the UK, according to the BBC, that should have a valid TV Licence do not have one. Over a million properties are resisting the might of the powerful BBC.

Truly wonderful.

No, breaking the law is not 'wonderful'.

If you don't want to pay, simply dispose of your TV.

I do believe that the BBC channels should be digitally scrambled, on a pay-per-view basis. This is something the BBC is terrified of, as it is well aware of the reality that only a tiny minority of people would willingly pay for its content. This is why it resists such a move tooth and nail.

I often thought that, I had cable in the UK and never watched anythign on the BBC.

No, breaking the law is not 'wonderful'.

If you don't want to pay, simply dispose of your TV.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it 'wonderful' but he does make a fair point.

Not all laws make sense, some of them are completely ridiculous, this being one of them and sometimes it takes people making a stand for anything to change. You shouldn't just accept everything. Why bend over and spread your cheeks for the authorities?

Not all laws make sense, some of them are completely ridiculous, this being one of them and sometimes it takes people making a stand for anything to change. You shouldn't just accept everything. Why bend over and spread your cheeks for the authorities?

Either way, laws are to be observed: unpopular ones too.

Yes, one can clamour for change. Until a law is changed, however, it's still binding.

Or are you advocating anarchy?

Archived