Why do you bother with TV?

You honestly can't see a reason why it's common sense not to steal people's personal property?

It's not common sense at all, common decency perhaps. I'm sure there are many people who would be more than happy to steal other peoples property. They call 'em thieves.

That doesn't seem too far removed from those that watch live/broadcast TV without a license (IMV).

It's not common sense at all, common decency perhaps. I'm sure there are many people who would be more than happy to steal other peoples property. They call 'em thieves.

That doesn't seem too far removed from those that watch live/broadcast TV without a license (IMV).

Of course it's common sense that it's wrong to steal someone's personal property. Just because it's common sense doesn't mean that the thief wont do it.

Of course it's common sense that it's wrong to steal someone's personal property.

You didn't qualify it with being morally "wrong", just that it's common sense not to steal, which is certainly nonsense if you're a thief.

You didn't qualify it with being morally "wrong", just that it's common sense not to steal, which is certainly nonsense if you're a thief.

That's because it doesn't really need qualifying. If we were to go by your specific defined version, then there would be no such thing as common sense, as no matter how daft something is, there is always someone who will do it.

You honestly can't see a reason why it's common sense not to steal people's personal property?

Of course I can, I think you're missing the point though.

If you can argue that you don't like a particular law and won't obey it, then anyone can make the same argue with just as much validity about any law. The fact that you call it common sense doesn't alter anything.

That's because it doesn't really need qualifying. If we were to go by your specific defined version, then there would be no such thing as common sense, as no matter how daft something is, there is always someone who will do it.

He was making the distinction between

"it's common sense that it's wrong to steal someone's personal property."

and

"it's common sense not to steal people's personal property"

Two different statements, one of which considers morality (a fluid concept itself and not one where everyone will agree).

I'm not saying that theft is okay, I don't think it is. Equally I don't think it's okay to watch TV without buying a license. You're morally obliged to buy one.

You could say

It's common sense that it's wrong to watch TV without having bought a license.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Of course I can, I think you're missing the point though.

If you can argue that you don't like a particular law and won't obey it, then anyone can make the same argue with just as much validity about any law. The fact that you call it common sense doesn't alter anything.

I agree with you on all of that. People can argue about whatever they want to argue about, as everyone has their own point of view, just like I have given mine and you have given yours. I'm pretty sure that no matter what people's views, that the extreme examples of burglary and my daft example of cutting yourself fall under scenarios that would be very hard to argue in favour of doing.

Archived