Why do you bother with TV?

If we are talking "new" stuff the amount of shows I watch is only handful. I watch more repeats than I do new shows purely down to the lack of anything decent.

Although overall the standard is pretty poor especially when its now mostly filled with Z lists on some reality show.

I pay for a TV license because I can afford to, that's the same freedom, nobody makes me buy a TV or cable.

I'm sure I've no idea what you're talking about with that last sentence, I have a US sister in law, have visited the states several times and don't have any problem with you or your country. I disagree with some of your foreign policies, but I disagree with my own government on many things, so that doesn't make you special. :huh:

Many of you profess to be friendly to America, and to have visited us many times. I don't doubt you have, and you're very welcome here. But its this disagreement with American policies that irks me. I try not to criticize the UK government. I have no party attachment there, though I was conservative when I lived there, as were most of the Armed Services.So why does everybody there seek to impose their will on us. When we seem to not care what you think, its probably because we don't. We have enough problems of our own. If I am oversensitive, I apologize. But the likes of Zien deserve no apologies from me.

We're talking about TV here. So "I'm aware of your attitude to us" is both inappropriate (in that it's not relevant) and in this case, completely unsubstantiated as you're aware of nothing. Go ahead and find a quote where I express a problem with the US if you want to prove me wrong. You'll be looking for a long time though.

So why does everybody there seek to impose their will on us.

You think that criticising a policy of the US is an attempt to make them do what I say they should? I'm sure SheffieldForum is important, but I doubt that Barack is checking every thread and flipping his policies to conform with the prevailing view on here.

I'm entitled to an opinion and to comment on any aspect of politics I feel like, and that includes that of your adopted country. If you don't like that, well, I'd suggest that it's you being over sensitive.

Many of you profess to be friendly to America, and to have visited us many times. I don't doubt you have, and you're very welcome here. But its this disagreement with American policies that irks me. I try not to criticize the UK government. I have no party attachment there, though I was conservative when I lived there, as were most of the Armed Services.So why does everybody there seek to impose their will on us. When we seem to not care what you think, its probably because we don't. We have enough problems of our own. If I am oversensitive, I apologize. But the likes of Zien deserve no apologies from me.

:huh:To have an opinion are you suggesting we up and move to the States before doing so?

:It goes against the principles of freedom to have to pay some exorbitant fee to watch TV. If there were detector vans in the US, the drivers would need bullet proof vests.:hihi:

It goes against American ideology you mean. It goes against freedom that all news channels are owned by businessmen moulding how people think with unlimited bias. But hey 'Fox News' is an entertainment channel so no problem if it teaches people to be thick and fills their heads with lies and distortion.

In life you get what you pay for, you pay for the BBC and you get a Rolls Royce of independent news that annoys every government and interest group. Business owned news only ever annoys certain people, never all. It's as simple as that.

• 2 months later...

I'd just like to announce that I am now TV free.

I took all my TVs to blackstock road yesterday, re arranged the furniture and cancelled my TV license.

I've paid the License for 20 years myself and as I rarely watch TV, I have decided that £140 per year would be better used for other things.

I have never been much of a fan of TV and the reality garbage which appears to have taken over most channels makes my skin creep. Who are these people and why should I take any interest in them. In recent years my TV has been unplugged for stretches of 6 months.

Anyhow I love radio 4 and wish that I could have all my license fee directed at that service rather than TV. And I feel that my decades of contribution should see me right for the rest of my life.

Archived