Why do you bother with TV?

Don't have a TV. There is nothing that interests me that much so I don't miss it that much. If I want to watch dvds or, in the off chance I want to watch something else, I usually do so via my laptop.

dont forget you still need a T V licence to watch on the internet.;)

dont forget you still need a T V licence to watch on the internet.;)

No, you don't.

On topic, I have a TV with a connected dedicated media centre PC in which I watch all of my downloaded American TV shows (and movies). Also for DVD/blu ray and games..

I don't watch broadcast TV often, just challenge to watch bullseye and crystal maze when I eat my dinner/tea.

British TV stations are rubbish, and unless you are tuning in for a specific show; so are American TV stations (watched online via XBMC using the USA TV now plugin to watch stations like ABC, NBC, PBS, etc).

Broadcast TV is generally mediocre, but people LOVE mediocre. Mediocre sells. Shows like big brother, top model, dancing on ice, shows about people having babies, soaps, CSI. All rubbish, but it's all people can talk about in the office. Why people stand to watch such garbage I don't know...

No, you don't.

On topic, I have a TV with a connected dedicated media centre PC in which I watch all of my downloaded American TV shows (and movies). Also for DVD/blu ray and games..

I don't watch broadcast TV often, just challenge to watch bullseye and crystal maze when I eat my dinner/tea.

British TV stations are rubbish, and unless you are tuning in for a specific show; so are American TV stations (watched online via XBMC using the USA TV now plugin to watch stations like ABC, NBC, PBS, etc).

Broadcast TV is generally mediocre, but people LOVE mediocre. Mediocre sells. Shows like big brother, top model, dancing on ice, shows about people having babies, soaps, CSI. All rubbish, but it's all people can talk about in the office. Why people stand to watch such garbage I don't know...

For the same reason I watch Eastenders, because a bit of simple entertainment is a relief from Panorama, Newsnight and bleak dramas. Mediocrity has to exist so the high art programmes you watch can exist. I do draw the line at Big Brother of course.

For the same reason I watch Eastenders, because a bit of simple entertainment is a relief from Panorama, Newsnight and bleak dramas. Mediocrity has to exist so the high art programmes you watch can exist. I do draw the line at Big Brother of course.

Indeed, it sells so they can put money to good use to make the 'High art' (as you put it) shows I watch.

That only goes for commercial TV though, unlike the BBC where they can decide if they want to put on rubbish all the time, or decent programming; without worrying about people liking it or not.

Why do you watch it if it's so crap?

And if you don't watch it, then how do you know it's crap? ;)

I sold my TV years ago but I have one here because my wife likes to watch total crap. She's watching some crud as I type this post. I must ask her why she bothers.

For the really sod sods that seems to thing the progs are educational, why don't you stream from the internet?

Well you've totally misunderstood it then, not unexpectedly.

Originally Posted by flamingjimmy

99% of everything is crap, that includes tv.

How else do you read 99% of everything is crap?

I assumed you consider 99% of everything to be crap.

Personally I like to look at the brighter side except when it comes to total ******** posters who are clearly brainless.

TROLL ALERT!!!

WARNING TO ALL SF USERS: This man is a one trick pony hobby horse who trawls forums looking for any chance to kick the BBC. He is capable of turning any topic such as 'how did the universe begin' into a how bad is the BBC? discussion.

He pops up on SF now and again when he's not busy enlightening people on other sites. When I came across him 6 months ago he was saying exactly the same stuff. It's real deja vu to see his name and click on his message to read about Cash In The Attic zzz.

He's right about the state of the programmes but he's also as nutty as a fruitcake.

I would suggest he's paranoid but he'd think I was out to get him.

Archived