Bidding on Ebay

As it stands, the person who bid £103 will get it if the reserve has been met. If you bid £200, then a bid of the reserve will be accepted, or £108 ish or £200. I'll be interested to see the official answer.

I put a bid on ebay of £101, the present bid is £103, if I place a bid for £200 will anyone else have to pay over that amount and if they don't will I only have to pay £103?
cressida, here's how it works in practice:

(1) if there is no reserve, or the reserve has already been met:

the current high bid is £103

you place your bid of £200

if the high bidder (at £103) only bid £103, then your £200 bid makes you the high bidder at approx £104 (£1 over £103)

if the high bidder (at £103) effectively bid (say) £150, then your £200 bid makes you the high bidder at approx £151 (£1 over £150)

I.e. the system automatically pares one bid against the other, until the lower bid is exceeded by the higher bid, by the lowest acceptable bid unit (£1, or less, or more - depends on auction value if I remember right)

So, by the same principle, in either case,

if another bidder bids (say) £160 (after seeing your high bid at £103 or £151), then your £200 'virtual bid' gets 'taken from' again to maintain you as the high bidder, at approx £161 (£1 over £160) and

if another bidder bids (say) £210 (after seeing your high bid at £103 or £151), then your £200 'virtual bid' gets 'taken from' again to try to maintain you as the high bidder, but the higher bid 'wins' and makes that other bidder the high bidder at approx £201 (£1 over £200)

(2) if there is a reserve, which has not yet been met

in this case, it works like the above, but you are additionally bidding against the seller (so to speak), so

if the reserve is (say) £150, then your £200 bid makes you the high bidder at approx £150 (reserve met) and

if the reserve is (say) £205, then your £200 bid makes you the high bidder at approx £104 (reserve not met, so bidding still works according to (1) above - I think, you should check this)

In a nutshell :D

As it stands, the person who bid £103 will get it if the reserve has been met. If you bid £200, then a bid of the reserve will be accepted, or £108 ish or £200. I'll be interested to see the official answer.

Wrong Ebay doesnt work like that re reserves,the bidding will go up in increments until it reaches your maximum bid,whoevers bid is the highest on close of auction will be the winner ,if your last bid is £150 and the reserve is £160 even though you are prepared to match the reserve,if no one else bids the item will not be sold

if the high bidder (at £103) only bid £103, then your £200 bid makes you the high bidder at approx £104 (£1 over £103)

if the high bidder (at £103) effectively bid (say) £150, then your £200 bid makes you the high bidder at approx £151 (£1 over £150)

in either case, if another bidder bids (say) £160 (after seeing your high bid at £103 or £151), then your £200 'virtual bid' gets 'taken from' again to maintain you as the high bidder, at approx £161 (£1 over £161)

in this case, it works like the above, but you are additionally bidding against the seller (so to speak), so

the reserve is (say) £150, then your £200 bid makes you the high bidder at approx £150 (reserve met)

That is the way normal auctions work ..Ebay doesnt work that way

Added

Or it didnt they may have amended their programmes,I am speaking from experience but admiitingly, not recent..if that is the case I apologise to the poster

That is the way normal auctions work ..Ebay doesnt work that way
As regards the (1) section, I can assure you that eBay does work like that.

As regards the (2) section (with reserve), admittedly it's been a while since I bid on an auction with reserve, which is why I recommended that the OP checks eBay rules/procedures for that particular situation :)

Personally, usually I snipe, so I don't tend to bid in big increments. And, as a rule, I never bid/buy anything on eBay worth more than £100 ;)

I.e. the system automatically pares one bid against the other, until the lower bid is exceeded by the higher bid, by the lowest acceptable bid unit (£1, or less, or more - depends on auction value if I remember right)

So, by the same principle, in either case,

if another bidder bids (say) £160 (after seeing your high bid at £103 or £151), then your £200 'virtual bid' gets 'taken from' again to maintain you as the high bidder, at approx £161 (£1 over £160) and

if another bidder bids (say) £210 (after seeing your high bid at £103 or £151), then your £200 'virtual bid' gets 'taken from' again to try to maintain you as the high bidder, but the higher bid 'wins' and makes that other bidder the high bidder at approx £201 (£1 over £200)

if the reserve is (say) £150, then your £200 bid makes you the high bidder at approx £150 (reserve met) and

if the reserve is (say) £205, then your £200 bid makes you the high bidder at approx £104 (reserve not met, so bidding still works according to (1) above - I think, you should check this)

Will this explanation be available on DVD shortly ? ;)

As regards the (1) section, I can assure you that eBay does work like that.

As regards the (2) section (with reserve), admittedly it's been a while since I bid on an auction with reserve, which is why I recommended that the OP checks eBay rules/procedures for that particular situation :)

Personally, usually I snipe, so I don't tend to bid in big increments. And, as a rule, I never bid/buy anything on eBay worth more than £100 ;)

I agree section 1 works like that ,like you I feel the question posed in section 2 is not clear enough as re EBay rules ,I used to auctioneer myself and used to bid up to the reserve off the book and you see that happen on the auction programmes where it may reach £10 under the reserve on the book and then stop.

Archived