Sheffield Pals JULY 1ST 1916

These heroes should never be forgotten.

A lot of people from all over the world have a lot to thank them for.

5 of my relatives died in the conflict and others were badly injured including my father who was blown up, recovered, and later was gassed at Passchendaale.

Bless em all, the long, the short and the tall.

PopT

5 of my relatives died in the conflict and others were badly injured including my father who was blown up, recovered, and later was gassed at Passchendaale.

PopT

My Grandfather Christopher Smart was on the Somme in 1915, and later at Passchendaale. In 1916 my grandmother died, leaving six children at home, the oldest a sixteen year old girl. My grand father asked for compassionate leave to help them and was refused. He returned home in 1918 without a flesh wound, but terriblly affected with what then was called shell shock. He was admitted to the military wing of Middlewood hospital, where he died in 1938. Such was our treatment of heroes. I served in the Royal Navy for nearly 18 years, and am glad to say we had much better treatment, though never easy.:)

PopT

God bless them all

Newfoundlanders, Blue Puttees regiment, lost a lot of men at Beaumont Hamel in WW1 on July 1, 1916. While the rest of Canada celebrates Canada Day, Newfoundland holds remembrance services. They also celebrate Canada Day too, but it is with divided emotions.

Newfoundlanders, Blue Puttees regiment, lost a lot of men at Beaumont Hamel in WW1 on July 1, 1916. While the rest of Canada celebrates Canada Day, Newfoundland holds remembrance services. They also celebrate Canada Day too, but it is with divided emotions.
Newfoundland has always had mixed feelings about joining Canada.When I was sworn in as a Canadian citizen in Stevenville, the judge asked me why I wanted to be a citizen, intimating to me that he preferred himself and Newfie remain British.

The Newfoundland Memorial Park on the Somme contains remnants of the trenches, still with barbed wire and shell casings. Its an evocative sight

i never really thought much about WW1 till i started doing my family history most of my fathers side were steel workers or knife makers so were reserved occupation , but when i looked at my mothers side it really hit home . her family came from Staveley ,on the war memorial in the chapel out of 39 soldiers commemerated i was related to 16

Edited by lobster
speling mistake

my great uncle Lawrence Assenheim was KIA on the Somme. He`s buried in Ancre British Cemetery in Beaumont Hamel.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,

We will remember them

They will not grow old as we who are left grow old.:)

I know it's a different date and I hope no one objects but I would like to add the battle of Loos in 1915 into the commemoration. In the first 3 days, 20,000 of our soldiers were killed with not one yard of ground gained.

Robert Graves, the poet, described the battle in his war memoir "Goodbye to All That" he described the incompetence of the officer as "a bloody balls up"

My Uncle Isaac Nuttall, who was in the Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment) died in this battle on the 26th September 1915 he was just 20, such grotesque waste of these young men's lives. Rest In Peace Uncle Ike