Flatulent washing machine..

Hello!

Every time I turn on my washing machine, we get a bubbling noise from the plug hole and then a VILE smell is unleashed. Don't know how else to describe it.. just like farts.

Gross.

I've taken the U-bend(??) from under the sink and emptied it, but it wasn't blocked. I've also shoved some bleach down the plug hole, but to no avail.

Is this a common problem? Any advice?

Ta x

That depends really on where the washing machine feeds in - it sounds like the machine when emptying is blowing back up from the U bend and pushing gas from the waste pipe back up into the sink. This indicates a blockage further down the pipe.

If the system is plastic with no metal then a dose of sodium hydroxide is usually very effective and clearing a block further down, but if there is any chance of there being a metal pipe in the system then a good shot of thick bleach into the sink followed half an hour later with a kettle of boiling water works wonders as well.

Archived