Illegal Redundancy

I've probably already got my answer anyway. I need to carry on trying to stay quiet and looking for a new job rather than bring up my issues. I can't really afford to go the same way as many others if there is a good chance they can make it seem like a genuine redundancy.

It's just a shame I have such a terrible job and have ended up down a path that isn't the career I wanted. I'm "too experienced" to take a big step back even though I would be happy with the wages. I don't have the right experience to do my current job anywhere else so I'm pretty much stuck! :)

The style of the OP suggests they got rid of him because they thought they didn't need someone like him in their company.

Sounds like a grabber out for an excuse to sue someone.

People like you are the reason forum users leave. You are the very deffenition of a troll. You know nothing at all about the situation or the lengths that employers go to in this day and age to have it their own way, bypassing the laws put in place to avoid giving workers their fair shout, but you choose to add your childish illinformed comment anyway.

Anyway...

A few years ago my uncle was made redundant by a security company in Barnsley (I worked for the same company at the time). His job (operations manager) was replaced by operations controller and filled by the contracts manager. The contracts manager at the time was a schmoozer, a good sucker upper to the director, hence the offer of another job when he completely failed to bring in any contracts. The job description was similar, but not the same.

My uncle then contacted a barrister and began tribunal procedings. In response the security company contacted all workers who would have contact with the dissmissed ops manager and aquired signed doccumentation which testified that the ops manager wasn't doing his job correctly. I recieved a phone call from the general manager asking me to give a stetement for them as I had no love for my uncle; that way my uncle couldn't legaly call me for a statement. In return for this they would "see me right". This and intimidation were both tools used by this company to get their statements.

Unfortunately for the company, about 3 months before (at Christmas) they had sent a letter out to my uncle congratulating him for a fantastic job and thanking him for everything he has done to ensure they achieved their gold status... blah blah blah.

By the time the case got to court I was no longer with the company -surprise surprise- and the hearing took two days. The conclusion was like a scene from a film. By the time the tribunal judge had finished his voice was at shouting point, everything being aimed at the defendant, the MD of the security company. It was clear that the company was acting outside the law, and thought that industrial law didn't apply to them. They were ordered to pay just shy of £10000 to my uncle.

Do you have any evidence that you performed your job in a satisfactory manner? The courts are well aware of this tactic of job renaming, your onlystruggle is to prove why you were sacked. I suggest you seek legal council, the consultation should be free, and then they can decide whether or not you have a case.

When it has happened there hasn't been any sort of proper process, they could probably no doubt make it up after the even though and weight it however they wanted.

No, they couldn't. You have to be informed in writing every step of the way. it is important that you keep records of anything obtained relating to the redundancy process and any internal communications which you think may help your cause later on. Also obtain copies of any performance reviews you have undertaken as they can be used to demonstrate that you were actually able to d your job (assuming of course that you can).

My GF went through this a couple of years ago where basically the management decided to save some money by getting rid of all the people they didn't like and bringing in new staff or temps a week later. They failed to follow procedures etc and ended up have to pay out a fat wad of cash in compensation.

As highlighted in a previous post ACAS is the way to go, contact them as soon as you smell something fishy.

jb

Archived