Paypal bogus messages in your emails

Another scam on hot mail telling you that someone has been trying to access your paypal accounts and paypal want to reset all your credit card details.

It all appears as a legitimate request with all the authority of paypal.

I cant believe I fell for it and as an afterthought told my bank .

They had declined to accept two bogus attempts to take about a thousand pound of transactions .

I have put this in Sheffield discussions as my grandaughter had the same email.

Obviously if you dont use paypal this will not be of interest to you,

I've had it too, and ignored it. I ignore absolutely everything that tells me any of my accounts have been accessed. If they have, that's the bank's problem, not mine, as I'm not careless when it comes to this sort of thing.

I don't receive genuine emails from my banks and never have. Online banks have message areas for users on their own sites. They'll phone you, if it's urgent - but NEVER discuss your bank accounts/details over the phone. If anyone phones me, saying they are from my bank, I always say, give me a name and reference, and if I can get back in touch with you via my bank's number, then I'll accept this might be genuine. I've never had a complaint from any bank yet when I've done this.

By the way, if anyone phones you from an energy, telecoms, water company or whatever, claiming you've overpaid and they want to credit your account with your details, so need the information from you, tell them that's great and you'll just settle for a credit to be put on your account!

If PayPal ever do contact you by email (genuinely) then you need to be aware that they never send an email to 'Dear PayPal customer', it always includes your real name, and the emails ask you to log in to your account via your browser, rather than clicking on a link in the email sent to you.

If you check for your real name in the email sent to you and don't click the link in the email, then you can't become the victim of phishing, can you?

Archived