What is replacing EMA?

It has already been confirmed that EMA will be replaced with a Learners Grant, You can basically claim £10 a week instead of £30.. its shocking IMO

Why? EMA was given to just under half of students whose parents earned under a set income limit. Most parents who earned above the limit weren't in a position to pay their children £30 a week, and their children had to get weekend jobs, putting them in a significantly disadvantaged position to those getting EMA.

It has already been confirmed that EMA will be replaced with a Learners Grant, You can basically claim £10 a week instead of £30.. its shocking IMO

Why is it shocking? There shouldn't be a need to give an incentive to go into further education in the first place, not only that how many hundreds of thousands of students went to college WITHOUT EMA in the years prior to it's introduction.

I was one such student and it didn't cost £30 a week with food & travel combined. I also found a part-time job as supplementary income so that I didn't need help from my parents (not that they wouldn't have given me it)

Nooo!!! you've taken it the wrong way! I'm also A student! i meant i think its shocking that its been cut from £30 to £10. With the course im on i have to pay out £3000 a term on supplies and trips, I Work, but even that doesn't help. x

thank you annaleigh.

Twiglet, i agree with what you are saying. I think all kids should get it.

I don't actually think twiglet was saying all kids should get it.

I think when we have children we make a commitment to support them until adulthood (and often beyond :roll:). If a child stays on at school or college after 16 then non-working parents continue to get benefits for them, and child benefit is paid for all. I'm all for travel passes and/or school buses, but I'm not in favour of giving someone £30 a week just for turning up. especially as many non qualifying parents can't afford pocket money at that level. However, I think that books and equipment for study should be available for all.

Plus, working part time is good training for the real world. Encouraging youngsters to have a work ethic is one of the best things a parent can do for them.

Edit: What kind of educational course expects a child to pay £3k a year on supplies and trips? I'm genuinely interested.

I don't actually think twiglet was saying all kids should get it.

I think when we have children we make a commitment to support them until adulthood (and often beyond :roll:). If a child stays on at school or college after 16 then non-working parents continue to get benefits for them, and child benefit is paid for all. I'm all for travel passes and/or school buses, but I'm not in favour of giving someone £30 a week just for turning up. especially as many non qualifying parents can't afford pocket money at that level. However, I think that books and equipment for study should be available for all.

Plus, working part time is good training for the real world. Encouraging youngsters to have a work ethic is one of the best things a parent can do for them.

Agree with everything Ms Macbeth has said. £120 a month is a ridiculous amount of money to pay students just to turn up - other students would have to work one full day per week at minimum wage to earn that amount, putting them at significant disadvantage. If it's being reduced to £10 per week, ALL students should be receiving that amount, but of course the country can't afford that. It should be all students or no students.

Archived