What is replacing EMA?

It has already been confirmed that EMA will be replaced with a Learners Grant, You can basically claim £10 a week instead of £30.. its shocking IMO

That's not technically true. The only people that can claim the weekly are existing students who are on EMA this year and get £30. New students will not be eligible for this.

The school/college will have a fund that can be accessed by those who need it, on a means tested basis, similar to what colleges have at the moment, but with more money available.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12881747

Can only speak for Hillsborough students but I assume it is similar elsewhere:

Students who received £30 EMA year 2010/2011 will receive £20 per week 2011/2012 year. Those on lower amounts will no longer be entitled to any payment.

Students who first received EMA payments in 2009/2010, will receive their payments at the same rate in year 2011/2012.

I went to college and had to work evenings and weekends. These days jobs are hard to get so if all students got a small payment each week it would benefit them im sure. But like others have said, the goverment can't afford this. I am quite happy to fund my daughter from september as it wont really be much different from when she was at school it will cost me the same each day. I was just curious as to what was happening thats all.

The fund replacing EMA is called the 16-19 Bursary. However this will mainly be available to people who are classed as vulnerable. They will be guaranteed a Bursary of £1200 a year. However Colleges will have the discretion to distribute any funds they have left. This will vary from College to College as they will be able to set their own criteria. I wouldn't rely on this as Colleges have just received their allocations and the money they have is minimal.

Getting a part time job is easier said than done with so many people out of work, and without experience. Students on full time courses which have a heavy work load will also struggle combining work and study. I received ema and it went towards bus fare, dinner and relevant course materialsx, and I was only left with a couple of quid each week if that .

Getting a part time job is easier said than done with so many people out of work, and without experience. Students on full time courses which have a heavy work load will also struggle combining work and study. I received ema and it went towards bus fare, dinner and relevant course materialsx, and I was only left with a couple of quid each week if that .

But the majority of students don't get EMA and have to get part time jobs in order to stay in education. Why should they be disadvantaged?

I have always worked when a student. From the age of 16 I worked at least 18+ hours a week. Even on my work experiance year when I was in unpaid work Monday to Friday, 8- 5, I managed to have two weekend jobs and get 16 hours in (shop work then straight to a bar job)

It can be done, you just have to work hard and not waste your time, there is no need for EMA if your a hard worker ;) There is need however if you are homeless.

I agree with Evei, I don't see having a part time job whilst at college as a disadvantage. I was working 20 hours a week while I was at college full time and it never harmed me. If anything it gave me motivation and discipline. I left college with excellent grades as well so it didn't detract from my studying either.

I'm certainly not against EMA, especially with the job shortages these days but if you CAN get a part time job I think it's the right thing to do.

Archived