Is Tunisia dodgy?

we went last sept to port el kantaoi, never again we went for an evening out and something to eat around the port area, as we got out of the taxi i noticed 2 lads aged around 20 we were followed into the port by them, we sat outside a restaruant and the same 2 lads sat on a bench watching us, by this time my wife and daughter had picked up on this and were very un-easy, we were then followed around the shops ect,i made my wife and daughter walk ahead of me to get to the taxi rank whilst i hung back holding them up, it was obvious we were going to be a target for a robbery luckily we spotted it in advance.later back at the hotel we found out there had been a number of muggings around the port area over the last few previous nights.

i have travelled to many countries and can say that the only one i wouldnt return to is tunisia.

we went last sept to port el kantaoi, never again we went for an evening out and something to eat around the port area, as we got out of the taxi i noticed 2 lads aged around 20 we were followed into the port by them, we sat outside a restaruant and the same 2 lads sat on a bench watching us, by this time my wife and daughter had picked up on this and were very un-easy, we were then followed around the shops ect,i made my wife and daughter walk ahead of me to get to the taxi rank whilst i hung back holding them up, it was obvious we were going to be a target for a robbery luckily we spotted it in advance.later back at the hotel we found out there had been a number of muggings around the port area over the last few previous nights.

i have travelled to many countries and can say that the only one i wouldnt return to is tunisia.

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!

the place was also dead in the evening,after 9 all the restaraunts closed dont no if this was because it was september and out of season, and as its a muslim country there are very few bars so your mainly confined to your hotel in the evening.

most days it was cold, we never used the pool as it was too cold the sun did come out for a few days but we didnt come back with a tan. i think we were unlucky with the weather as its normally hotter in sept than we experienced.

We went there a couple of times in the 80s and 90s and never really had a problem, although we kept ourselves mainly to the touristy bits (apart from the camel trek into the Sahara for 4 days).

My issue at the moment would be the ongoing unrest to do with the government and protesting though. I'm sure that the people who were in the country in January this year weren't expecting full scale riots either, and in a lot of cases civil unrest cannot be predicted, but in a situation of an ongoing political unrest I'm not sure that you'd be covered by insurance to evacuate you if it was to kick off again.

I'd consult the Foreign Office for their advice on whether the country is safe to visit before planning any holiday there.

I've been a couple of times over the last 2 years and I love it. It's really cheap. Never had any trouble, but you do have to watch out for the young men declaring undying love & offering marriage proposals - yes they are serious, but all they want is a visa to come over here. Just remember it's a very poor country so don't go flashing money & jewellery.

I was going to book again for this year but decided against it with all the unrest going on at the moment. As Medusa says it's a bit unpredictable at the moment.

I've been to Yasmine Hammamet & Sousse. Port El Kantaoui is about 10 minutes taxi ride from Sousse, a bit more upmarket.

Hope to go back next year though.

MrsMapleboy went there before we got wed. According to SWMBO it's a third world <removed>, got pestered ALL the time, everyone in the party got the trots, a few got robbed, holiday from hell. She'd never go to any North African country again.

Archived