Just had a phone call saying my windows on comp has a bad virus, CON??

my brother in law has learning problems. He just fell for this scam. He went onto the web page they asked him to and entered a code. They then told him he had to pay £90 or he would be black listed. When he said that he did not have that money they got aggressive and eventually hung up. Im not sure what entering the details they gave him has given them access to but since all the family have used the computer at some point we have all cancelled our cards but do we need to do anything else??

• 7 months later...

September 2012 and I've had a call from Microsoft Support today telling me there was a problem with my computer. I spoke to a gentleman called David who was able to help me sort it out. He was very helpful and told me how to access EVENTVIEWER and then i would see all sorts of error messages and warnings.

Oh, if only I had been able to search on the internet and find out this was a scam!

Sadly, I can only access the internet when the computer is on and I didn't turn it on when he called . Anyway, if anyone else would like to call him (it's an international call by the way) and get their computer fixed, them PM me and I'll pass on his number.

I had no idea that there was anyone called David with such a strong foreign accent...

our lass had one,kept them on the line for about 1 hour,then hung up,a while latter they rang back,after 20 mins and them talking to the dog,i told them i had to go to the door and would put them on hold for a min,then gave them a blast of meat loaf for 10 mins,and he was still talking away,was still talking when i put the phone down,

my brother in law has learning problems. He just fell for this scam. He went onto the web page they asked him to and entered a code. They then told him he had to pay £90 or he would be black listed. When he said that he did not have that money they got aggressive and eventually hung up. Im not sure what entering the details they gave him has given them access to but since all the family have used the computer at some point we have all cancelled our cards but do we need to do anything else??

Its sad that these scumbags prey on people such as your brother-in-law or other people that aren't quite computer savvy, but no matter where there is a chance to fiddle somebody, they will always be around...:rant::rant:

• 2 months later...

They're at it again!:rant:I've had 2 calls today,informing me that 'your computer is being infected by the hour',and could i go to the computer and log in,then follow his instructions:loopy:. A long,hard blow on a whistle,down the phone,soon made him hang up:hihi: Sadly,i don't think it'll be the end of the calls though:(

They're at it again!:rant:I've had 2 calls today,informing me that 'your computer is being infected by the hour',and could i go to the computer and log in,then follow his instructions:loopy:. A long,hard blow on a whistle,down the phone,soon made him hang up:hihi: Sadly,i don't think it'll be the end of the calls though:(

A good thing to try is that you don't know how to use your PC its your sons and ask them to ring back later when he comes home from work

Just drop into the conversation that he works for a joint task force for the british police and Interpol in their internet fraud department and see if they call back

Archived