Sheffield landlords who let to Benefit-claiming tenants?

i was on the dss for years 5 to be exact i have a little girl and wud have loved to work while she was a child to provide for her but i couldnt afford nursery bills or childminders. i work now and still cant afford them i rely on family to look after her while i go to work. People see people on the dss as dossers and in some cases its true some people dont want to work but in most its cos they have no choice like me a few years ago. im not ashamed of once been on the dss the little money i got off the dss feed and clothed my daughter and i welcomed it. now i work i cant imagine going back on dss as they dont help enough. i was asking for help to get a job for about 18 months n they told me that i didnt have to go to work until my daughter was older so why did i want to, when i can get paid for doing nothing, i was shocked but the person who said was right.

conversely quite a few private landlords state "no dss" which does make me wonder whether they're working the fiddle somewhere along the line.

As someone renting out flat no we are not on the fiddle.

I have a mortgage with the mortgage company, who must be paid on date X every month. Many mortgage companies state that the property in question cannot be rented to DSS claimants.

Housing benefit can be late. I cannot afford that with my payments. I need to know that who ever rents the property has the means to afford it every month. That is why many landlord agencies do credit checks. I do not have an office the size of Sheffield Homes to chase up late payments and missing rent.

People claiming DSS have the support and advice of various bodies who will help them find a property. Working professionals who have guaranteed income every month and can afford a deposit can look into the private market to find a property to rent.

As someone renting out flat no we are not on the fiddle.

I have a mortgage with the mortgage company, who must be paid on date X every month. Many mortgage companies state that the property in question cannot be rented to DSS claimants.

Housing benefit can be late. I cannot afford that with my payments. I need to know that who ever rents the property has the means to afford it every month. That is why many landlord agencies do credit checks. I do not have an office the size of Sheffield Homes to chase up late payments and missing rent.

People claiming DSS have the support and advice of various bodies who will help them find a property. Working professionals who have guaranteed income every month and can afford a deposit can look into the private market to find a property to rent.

That may be the case but I have actually heard people saying that the reason they wont take DSS is because they'd have to declare the income which they dont want to do.

we made the mistake to renting to dss once ,nightmare, we get a letter from the council rent suspended , month later another letter stating rent reinstated and would be back dated , after about six weeks no rent so i queried where is it ." oh didn't you get a letter we have decieded to withdraw the rent all together " consequently we lost 5 months rent as it takes 2 months to get them out . its nothing to do with declaring income its because the council is so incompetent

so apart from single parents and the ill, why would anyone else see themselves as going to be unemployed for more than a couple of months ?

I'm sure someone with a criminal record can find work, using that as an excuse means that if you've got a criminal record, then get your money for doin nowt,

if you've not got a criminal record, never done nobody no harm, you've got to go out and earn your money ?

i wouldn't consider myself as very educated,, very skilled,, just willing to work and earn a wage

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

How hard is it to get a house that accepts dss and pets they seem to be non-existant

im trying to get a 2/3 bed up south sheffield ie westfield,mosborough,waterthorpe,peaks

i did find one with a estate agents but was horrified to find that i had to pay 150.00 credit check

but what i cant understand is why? They cost 2.99 on internet and housing benefit would pay the rent xxx

i would be grateful if any private landlords in s20 would get in touch if they have any properties in this area

can provide references and guarantor xx

You may have difficulty if you have pets. This is because of damage they may cause (e.g scratching doors) but also staining, smells and hairs. It is common to charge at least 50% extra deposit to cover the risks.

£150 charge for a credit check is expensive. It is usually around £37 per person and as you have a guarantor this will be charged twice, one for you and one for the guarantor.

Hope this helps.