What do you think is an acceptable reason to have an abortion?

I'm not ready.

I can't support it financially.

I want to live my life first.

Are any of these good enough reasons to kill your unborn child? If these reasons were that solid shouldn't they have been a factor in preventing the pregnancy in the first place?

I know accidents can happen even when using contraceptives, but I'm thinking more along the lines of people who didn't even bother with the precautions.

Why don't people listen when you give them good advice? :roll:

I wouldn't consider them good enough reasons to abort a child. On the other hand, though, I don't see any sense in bringing a child into the world who is unwanted - which makes it tricky to decide what is morally the best course of action, in the case of someone who has [/i] already ignored all contraceptive advice and fallen pregnant, but doesn't want the baby.

Sure, we can go on about how stupid, selfish, ignorant, careless ... she has been to get into that position, but that doesn't help us decide what to do about it now. I don't approve of abortion under any circumstances except where the mother's life is at risk, or the child has no chance of surviving birth (missing a heart, or some such) - but, over the years, I've started to believe that it is often the lesser of two evils.

All of these reasons would be acceptable to some people and not to others.

I think if you really don't want a child then that is your choice, no matter what your justification is...

...Having said that I am thinking of a one-off accident due to faulty contaceptives. The fact that you have used them in the first place shows that you are (a) responsible enough to be in a sexual relationship and (b) don't want to get pregnant.

No-one should be shagging about, not bothering with contraceptives, then just having he "problem" removed... nasty :nono:

I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer, what is the right decision for one person may not be or another.

As for them that don't bother taking precautions so they don't end up in situations where they have to face decisions like this, to them abortion is a form of precaution and they never learn and do it time after time.

It's like you say some people just don't want to accept good advice.

Archived