What do you think is an acceptable reason to have an abortion?

In the debate about 'a woman's right to choose', the potential risk of preventing a WANTED pregnancy in the future rarely crops up. Abortion can prevent you EVER having kids

It sickens me that there is now an overlap between the dates from which an early born baby can survive, and legal abortion can take place - why is one child declared a human being (with all the legal rights that go with that status) whisked off to an incubator and given life support, and another removed and incinerated?

Why shouldn't late aborted babies be given the same chance of survival and put up for adoption?

So all women should be forced to carry full term?
Don't cut my post in half then post something completely tangential to the bit you've used

I've quoted my full post for others to see how unrelated your comment is

I can understand women who have been raped and become pregnant, I can imagine having a child would be a constant reminder or what's happened and maybe grow to resent the child.

I can also understand children who they know are going to be ill, it must be horrible growing old knowing you won't be able to care for your child if they do need special care and wondering what would happen when you're gone, so from a medical point of view I can understand.

for the sake of just using protection, or the baby being an inconvience then I see that as a pathetic excuse, everyone knows the risk of sex and I couldn't abort a child myself, I would spend the rest of my life wondering what if's and I think it would eat away at me beyond what I could deal with.

Yes, but at least you would have TRIED. Then, if you got pregnant you would have a good excuse. To not bother using anything leaves you without much in your corner.

But all that means is you're a failure - you tried to prevent it and it didn't work. It just gives others a reason to imagine justification in a termination, along with all the other snidey comments that are directed at women who get pregnant whilst taking precautions.

So i imagine everyone is now going to stop taking drugs,drinking alcohol or speeding. If you don't want the consequences don't do it is a childish concept.

It takes large cohones to stand up and say i don't want this pregnancy to go any further.

Did it need to happen no - and i'm very anti abortion.

But your question was "an acceptable reason" i think all the ones you listed mean the same thing the woman doesn't want it. The ones you listed are some of many in an attempt to justify her decision to the rest of the world.

I can't believe what I'm hearing - the concept that people who don't want children should use contraceptives is childish??

I can't believe what I'm hearing - the concept that people who don't want children should use contraceptives is childish??

No, the overall concept of not doing something without having to accept the consequences is a childish one.

No one would do anything.

No, it means the contraception was a failure.

And the point is ???

Imagine having a vasectomy for it to fail - now please just tell me the overall condemnation and ridicule would be directed at the surgical procedure.

Or the pill didn't work - i personally have told people i don't believe that excuse, especially the second time.

And the point is ???

Imagine having a vasectomy for it to fail - now please just tell me the overall condemnation and ridicule would be directed at the surgical procedure.

The question was about what is an acceptable reason, not what will escape the judgment of others.

The question was about what is an acceptable reason, not what will escape the judgment of others.

Thats exactly my point - all the reasons the op selected did just that they were designed to reduce judgement, when the real reason is the pregnant woman doesn't want the child.

Archived