How do you keep calm in a tense or difficult situation?

I'm calm. In fact I'm so cool you could paint me white and keep beer in me.

I wasn't always that way. At one time I would beat offending fools to a bloody pulp but I took up martial arts. That not only gave me the ability to beat them up worse while using less energy but it gave me the ability to control who a gave a slapping to.

Since taking up martial arts I've hardly hit anyone and no one that didn't physically attack me first. (Except for a bit of S&M now and again.)

How do you deal with anger/nerves/emotions in a situation that makes you feel outside your comfort zone.
I've yet to experience one, but as regards "anger/nerves/emotions", just temporise with a deep breath and use that time to think one up over "the other side"...then breathe out and get to work on it ;)

I pretend I'm someone else in the role. Not fantasy lol, but it's the whole thing of what would X do, where X is someone you know that would handle it well, whether that be calming the situation down, standing your ground, being friendly. There is always someone you know that would do well, I try to take ideas from them.

Andy well thought of!...But what if it was something like a job interview, or a date that made you feel uneasy, or someone that you trusted that let you down, would you hold back or be able to keep calm and in control? And if so...how?

Archived