How do you keep calm in a tense or difficult situation?

How do you deal with anger/nerves/emotions in a situation that makes you feel outside your comfort zone.

I just naturally go calm. An ex-b'f used to say it inflammed him more, but it was just my way of dealing with things. The more wound up he got, the more icy I became. Apparently!

I think I withdraw. And perhaps you could try the same? Just take a step back, say NOTHING, and just see what happens?

It's a technique taught in Sales: the first person to speak is on the losing side. As in, you lay your deal on the table, then step back.

Does that help at all? Ring any bells? At first, it might feel artificial. After a while, I guess it becomes second nature.

It's a way of drawing out of the other person exactly what their issue is.

It also gives you time to think about what your position actually is.

So nobody has a method to keep calm and deal with a tense situation except the fight or flight response?..............:confused:

What you can do, is to go over the possible situation in your mind, and then act presently how you'd act when the actual situation arose.

(I think I kinda confused myself there)...

I just naturally go calm. An ex-b'f used to say it inflammed him more, but it was just my way of dealing with things. The more wound up he got, the more icy I became. Apparently!

I think I withdraw. And perhaps you could try the same? Just take a step back, say NOTHING, and just see what happens?

It's a technique taught in Sales: the first person to speak is on the losing side. As in, you lay your deal on the table, then step back.

Does that help at all? Ring any bells? At first, it might feel artificial. After a while, I guess it becomes second nature.

It's a way of drawing out of the other person exactly what their issue is.

It also gives you time to think about what your position actually is.

Hi there SHsheff,

I wasn't asking for me - as I work as a Person Centred Therapist for children and adolescents, and was hoping for some insight as to how people of all ages cope with restraining their inner feelings when faced with a difficult situation. Thanks for your reply :)

Hi there SHsheff,

I wasn't asking for me - as I work as a Person Centred Therapist for children and adolescents

That wasn't apparent from the question. Shouldn't you know the answer, in that case?

I feel a little used!

But what if it DID matter, what would you do ?

think on my feet and remind my self if you let it. and some times if you have no control before it spirals an escalates in to a situation you dont want to be in.think it takes one second for a moron to stab you because there having a bad day .and remind your self thats it's no good reminding your self when your laid out on slab:(

So nobody has a method to keep calm and deal with a tense situation except the fight or flight response?..............:confused:

would you hold back or be able to keep calm and in control? And if so...how?
There is no magic bullet, it's all about confidence.

In tense situations, I have usually found people with little self-confidence to be the fight/flight type, and confident people to be the calm, non-excitable type ;)

It's all about rationalising situations and maintaining good focus (of what outcome you want for the situation).

Curve ball question at an interview? Work out what/why they want to know, "question the question"

Flaming death-spiralling date? Work towards making your excuses, but leaving a good impression

Stabbed in back by a mate? Learn from it, remove said mate from friends/contacts/facebook/etc. and stab back (don't get mad, get even)

Etc.

How do you deal with anger/nerves/emotions in a situation that makes you feel outside your comfort zone.
I just imagine them sat on the toilet with there pants down around there ankles that always makes me laugh :D

Archived