Trip refund advice please.

My daughter was due to go on an activity daytrip with her scout group last Saturday. However in the early hours of Saturday morning she came down with a sickkie bug. She was gutted to miss the trip anf spent most of Saturday sobbing as well as vomiting.

I told her to try and cheer her up that any refund she could have to buy a dvd or something nice.

The trip cost £20 I know its not a huge amount but on our income its significant. Anyhow we were told half was for the coach and half for entry fee to the theme park.

We are really shocked to be told now that she can't have a penny back. Ok everyone contributed to the coach and we can't expect that half refunded but why can't she have her entry fee back??

Am I within my rights to make a stand and request it again? Anyone else ever had this problem? Did you resolve it or put it down as experience?

I don't think there is a legal right of refund if you miss a trip because of illness. A lot of companies will refund you in those circumstances, because they want to keep your goodwill.

If the scout group had already made a block booking of X number of entry tickets, I don't think it is unreasonable for them to deny a refund, since it would leave them out of pocket. If her entry ticket was never bought, there's no reason at all why she couldn't have that half back.

the only thing I can suggest is getting in touch with the park and seeing if they'll issue a ticket for another day as a gesture of good will, but as stated above, if it was a block booking with a party discount, I'm not sure there'd be anything to refund to you

No legal right to a refund, I agree, but what about:

a. claiming on the travel insurance; or

b. (if paid by credit card) claiming on the card-provider's insurance?

A.Would you take out insurance on a trip that cost £20?

B.Don't they only cover items over £100?

A.Would you take out insurance on a trip that cost £20?

B.Don't they only cover items over £100?

You misunderstand. If it costs one person £20, it costs a group of y people a total of £20 times y.

The group ought to have paid:

a. for travel insurance; and

b. by credit card.

But did they (or their organiser)?

You misunderstand. If it costs one person £20, it costs a group of y people a total of £20 times y.

The group ought to have paid:

a. for travel insurance; and

b. by credit card.

But did they (or their organiser)?

So you think they'd get £20 back from a the total credit card payment? I'm not saying you're wrong but I'd be surprised if it worked like that...no harm in trying I suppose.. :)

Archived