First Night Club in Sheffield

Think you have a few things wrong there mossdog. All the clubs were membership only clubs because that was the law at that time, you could not have a late night licensed establishment open to the public. This may have been loosely interpreted for some people, but it is a fact.

I think Bailey's, was the first true nightclub and I'm sure it was opened before the Penny, but certainly they were both open at the same time, because I can remember going from one to the other.

They were all called "clubs". My memory may be failing, but I cant remember having to "join" any of them

Me neither and we used to go to Baileys/Cavendish, Alfred Golds, Fiesta all between 60 and 75 ish........;)

You are both wrong, I still have an old membership card for Bailey's & Heartbeat, possibly others. As time passed they may have become relaxed about this or the law may even have changed, but I assure you they started as members only. I can remember big Oggie being quite strict about this even in the seventies.

Think you have a few things wrong there mossdog. All the clubs were membership only clubs because that was the law at that time, you could not have a late night licensed establishment open to the public. This may have been loosely interpreted for some people, but it is a fact.

I think Bailey's, was the first true nightclub and I'm sure it was opened before the Penny, but certainly they were both open at the same time, because I can remember going from one to the other.

You may be right about the first part of your answer,although I never saw anyone with a membership card for the Penny!.............but Baileys opened much later than the Penny!.......and for that matter your namesake!

• 3 months later...
I think he has something to do with it he may own it, im not sure, but Kevan has been running it for a few years now

kevan Johnson does not own The Priory Lodge, he has been running it and has decided he doesnt want to pay rent. I only know this because i know the owners.He is at he moment trying to avoid an eviction. His whole intention is to take the hotel for himself.God this man is vile, and anyone who does business with him should be warned.

kevan Johnson does not own The Priory Lodge, he has been running it and has decided he doesnt want to pay rent. I only know this because i know the owners.He is at he moment trying to avoid an eviction. His whole intention is to take the hotel for himself.God this man is vile, and anyone who does business with him should be warned.

Come down a peg or two from his nightclub days.

He once said to me a long time ago he wished he was £2m in debt because to get that far in debt you must have to be worth a few quid.

Edited by fussy

• 2 months later...