First Night Club in Sheffield

If we're counting dance halls then it's the City Hall.

What about Glossop rd baths JIM i see Shades under the old Greystones picture house has not been mentioned Max O owned that one as well also the Cutlers hall on Sat nights was a dance hall.

Edited by JACK HEWITT

• 3 weeks later...
I think the first real "nightclub" was the penny because you had to be a member to get in, I was one of the original members, they served alcohol,. didn't the Cavendish later become Baileys?,the Mojo was not a club it was a coffee bar.Joe Cocker and I both went to Psalter Lane Art school when we were 11,and still keep in touchThere was a Cvendish at Intake, which was a dance place,later ther was 5Ways at Owler Bar,and Max Omara had his club at Hunters Bar then the Genevieve in sheffield,

when max had the gevieve, his girlfreind worked behind the bar.i took her home one night to her flat at hunters bar. we thought he was away on business in london.....big mystake!! 4-30 in the morning in he walks, luckily i heard his car pull up. it was a second floor flat with a fire escape..... and thats what i did....escape!!. idont know if anyone can remember his bodyguard ? he was a mountain of a man. took a few chances in those days.!

I think the first real "nightclub" was the penny because you had to be a member to get in, I was one of the original members, they served alcohol,. didn't the Cavendish later become Baileys?,the Mojo was not a club it was a coffee bar.Joe Cocker and I both went to Psalter Lane Art school when we were 11,and still keep in touchThere was a Cvendish at Intake, which was a dance place,later ther was 5Ways at Owler Bar,and Max Omara had his club at Hunters Bar then the Genevieve in sheffield,
The first "real nightclub" in Sheffield was indeed the Penny Farthing,but you did not need membership to get in! It just depended on how short your minidress was or if Ronnie Crookes and co (bouncers) liked the cut of your jib.All the rest mentioned on this thread came afterwards,and as a band member worked them all!

when max had the gevieve, his girlfreind worked behind the bar.i took her home one night to her flat at hunters bar. we thought he was away on business in london.....big mystake!! 4-30 in the morning in he walks, luckily i heard his car pull up. it was a second floor flat with a fire escape..... and thats what i did....escape!!. idont know if anyone can remember his bodyguard ? he was a mountain of a man. took a few chances in those days.!

what year was that in and who was it..

It was called the Locarno. I used to go now and again in the mid 60s. It was a pick up joint.
It was a cinema before WWII, which became a Marks & Spencers store due to the original M&S being bombed during the Blitz. The floor was sloping due to it previously being a cinema, it was levelled for dancing and renamed The Locarno when M&S moved to their new post war store.

The first "real nightclub" in Sheffield was indeed the Penny Farthing,but you did not need membership to get in! It just depended on how short your minidress was or if Ronnie Crookes and co (bouncers) liked the cut of your jib.All the rest mentioned on this thread came afterwards,and as a band member worked them all!

When did Baileys open?