Dark Matter..

Ah so he probably just worded it wrong?

(also, I think it's actually moving gradually away from us, isn't that what they discovered when they were shooting the big green laser at it?)

Please don't call me an 'Ah so' ... It's quite rude! :o:D

The only possible explination is that there is mmatter unnacounted for, therefore creating this extra gravity. This is Dark Matter.

Or another possibility is that the standard model of the Universe is wrong. If the Higgs boson is not found then another theory that excludes the introduction of Dark Matter, Dark Energy and other ideas will need to be found.

Anything held in gravitational pull is actually falling. The moon is falling towards earth at the same speed (or very slightly slower as the moon is moving away from the Earth) as it is moving sideways, so it appears that it is just circling the earth. The closer an object to the mass it is orbiting, the faster it needs to move in a sideways direction to avoid falling in to the boject it is orbiting. So, if the moon were twice as far away, it would need to travel much slower to stay in orbit, otherwise it would fly away from the earth, out of the earths gravitational grip.

Mathematically speaking, the gravitationnal acceleration from Earth to Moon is lesser, with approximately about 2.6E-03m/s², because the Earth's motion around the Sun puts a centrifugal acceleration of 5.9E-03m/s² on the Moon. So, in these conditions the Earth's gravity, alone, wouldn't be enough to maintain the Moon.

When we began to observe galaxies some years back we expected to see the same rules at work; the stars closest to the supermassive black holes at their center moving incredibly fast and the stars at the edge of the galaxies moving much slower. Instead we actually found that all the stars inside each galaxy are orbiting at the same speed, which means that the ones on the outside arms should have broken free and be flying through space independent of the galaxy it belonged to. The only possible explination is that there is mmatter unnacounted for, therefore creating this extra gravity. This is Dark Matter.

Indeed, our expectation have been contradicted and because of that it was suggested to launch a capsule, which will fly away in deep space to inspect the unseen and untouched places of the universe. Its said in about 30-35 years the scientists will have reliable results to confirm, what ever.

What a superbly written link! ... presume you wrote it?

Thanks for saying 'Basically' what the whole thing's about ... It's great to get comments from leading scientists who know everything. I bow to you. :rolleyes:

Sorry, was I wrong? I was saying basically with regards to what is in the picture. I wouldn't profess to know everything, especially regarding dark matter. That would be silly now.

I think we're on the verge of something important in regards to dark matter at the LHC but to say this will solve everything or offer up some kind of grand unification theory is just plain wrong.

Whilst it may be romantic to conjure up theories on dark matter starships; whilst we live in our society, nothing of this sort will happen. Unfortunately.

Dark energy and Micro black holes are two areas i'd like to look into in some more detail before i get a phd or die.

Archived