Really good food

Ingabiri

My husband and I are going to be staying in Sheffield city centre (or maybe Stannington) for our first wedding anniversary because of work commitments. We had fabulous - not far off michelin starred - food on our honeymoon, and would like to go somewhere really special on our anniversary.

Any recommendations? We don't mind what style of food it is, as long as it's really good - with good service too. I used to work in the hotel industry, and the service doesn't have to be fancy, but bad service drives me nuts.

I work internationally and do a lot of dining out all over the world. I spend a lot of time in London as well. When I'm in Sheffield I have often felt it would be almost embarrassing to have clients here because there's no-where comparable to some of the top cities in Europe or rest of the world - where you could take someone and them be genuinely impressed. When you are entertaining important guests, who themselves are used to top notch restaurants, you have to have somewhere very good to take them.

However, I changed my mind about that a while ago.

Milano's is this kind of restaurant - I came out of there and said to my wife - "Now, that IS the kind of place I would not have any hesitation about taking clients to". And it's the only one in Sheffield that I'd say that about.

Having said that - I think that the one's that Skinner has suggested are all very good as well. And, I'd throw the Bar & Grill in there based on my last visit.

But Milano's is a truly international standard dining experience. It's in a different league.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived