Milly Dowler's voicemail was hacked by News of the World

Would you boycott News of the World?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you boycott News of the World?

• Yes, its sunk to new levels of nastiness.
    • No, i like reading comics.
    • I never bought the rag in the first place.
    • I used to buy it, but have grown up and purchase broad sheets now.

If a shop was accidentally left open would you steal from it? Doing that would be morally wrong.

Depends who's doing the stealing. :hihi:

A few years ago, I left a torque wrench on the seat of my motorcycle to go into the house to answer the phone. When I came back out there was a kid walking down the road with my wrench in his hand. When I challenged him, he said that I had left it there so it was his now. To this day, I believe he genuinely thought he had a moral (if not legal) claim on my spanner! :(

John X

You've seen fit to comment - so has everyone else.

It struck me as a notable omission from the general discourse.

That it did not strike you is not something I wish to account for.

Who do you think should be held responsible?

Didn't strike me at all. It's as simple as if it isn't yours don't touch it. If the doors open don't just walk in. If my phone is next to you don't pick it up and go through the numbers. If my window lock is a bit dodgy don't go into my house and take my stereo. Should I go on?

Do you propose a better system the phone companies could have used for new voicemail users accessing their accounts?

i've inadvertently been boycotting this rag anyway, its pure dross. lets hope it goes bust now.

Not a chance, when there are morons out there willing to put money in their coffers just because there's a picture and "new revelations" about Cheryl Cole.

If a shop was accidentally left open would you steal from it?

No. Why would I? Unless you're mistaking my post to be an indication of support for the criminal activities of reporters and editors?

BTW. I'd close the door, phone the police and wait for them to arrive with a key holder.

one of your 'idiots' I guess :rant:

I guess you must be if you do not change the default password (even though the documentation for the device advises you to do so)?

"Where are the mobile phone companies in all of this? "

Providing a cellular connection service?

Depends who's doing the stealing. :hihi:

A few years ago, I left a torque wrench on the seat of my motorcycle to go into the house to answer the phone. When I came back out there was a kid walking down the road with my wrench in his hand. When I challenged him, he said that I had left it there so it was his now. To this day, I believe he genuinely thought he had a moral (if not legal) claim on my spanner! :(

John X

Let's keep it focused - we are not talking about an opportunist kid waltzing off with an item left in the street but rather a commercial organisation hacking the phone of a missing child. Very different things.

I guess you must be if you do not change the default password (even though the documentation for the device advises you to do so)?

We're not talking about me. The phone belonged to a missing child. Fair game?

Fair game?

Did I say that? I was responding to a claim that google would be to blame if your gmail was as easy to hack as a mobile phone.

You seem to be reading too much in to my text.

Did I say that? I was responding to a claim that google would be to blame if your gmail was as easy to hack as a mobile phone.

You seem to be reading too much in to my text.

Maybe. Just looked like a good opportunity to jump in and put to bed the ridiculous idea that what happened was somehow more acceptable because the hacking was easy to do.

Archived