Milly Dowler's voicemail was hacked by News of the World

Would you boycott News of the World?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you boycott News of the World?

• Yes, its sunk to new levels of nastiness.
    • No, i like reading comics.
    • I never bought the rag in the first place.
    • I used to buy it, but have grown up and purchase broad sheets now.

Not a chance, when there are morons out there willing to put money in their coffers just because there's a picture and "new revelations" about Cheryl Cole.

It strikes me that there's a few people on here who seem to get a lot of their views on issues like immigration, welfare benefits and spending cuts from the NotW and the Sun. Perhaps it's time they took a step back and asked themselves whether these publications have been feeding them lies for years just to keep them buying the paper and generating revenue. After all, we now find that there is little they wouldn't do to make money.

It strikes me that there's a few people on here who seem to get a lot of their views on issues like immigration, welfare benefits and spending cuts from the NotW and the Sun.

Good point well made!

The Sun, News off the World and Daily Mail have almost certainly led to more people voting for parties like BNP, UKIP and English Democrats than their own incredibly low circulation papers could ever do.

People who read these papers often have a very schitzophrenic view where they will freely admit that it is all a pile of **** but will still repeat stories from these papers as if they were true.

John X

I'm amazed at how naive some people are at being shocked by these revelations. How did they think the tabloid newspapers got their exclusive stories all these years?

Let's fact it, it's not just the News Of The World; every newspaper from the Sport to the Guardian employs journalists who would shoot their own kids for an exclusive front page story and would do whatever it takes to get that story regardless of who they tread on to get it. Phone hacking has been going on ever since phones were invented, so spare us the moral indignation!

I'm amazed at how naive some people are at being shocked by these revelations. How did they think the tabloid newspapers got their exclusive stories all these years?

Let's fact it, it's not just the News Of The World; every newspaper from the Sport to the Guardian employs journalists who would shoot their own kids for an exclusive front page story and would do whatever it takes to get that story regardless of who they tread on to get it. Phone hacking has been going on ever since phones were invented, so spare us the moral indignation!

I think a lot of people just thought they made them up. It actually adds to their credibility since all those times they had a story citing "a source close to..." and I thought they were making it up, it was probably actually their voicemail.

I want to know if anyone from a phone company has been paid, like policeman have, for information.

As far as I understand it, the phone hacking was a totally technical process which did not need to involve staff from the phone company.

John X

As far as I understand it, the phone hacking was a totally technical process which did not need to involve staff from the phone company.

John X

If NoTW hacks illegally paid policeman for telephone numbers, then I'm in no doubt that employees of the mobile telecoms sector will have been approached them too.

I don't expect them to make an appearance until they are before the public enquiry, but I will be interested to hear what they are asked, and how they answer.

Phone hacking has been going on ever since phones were invented, so spare us the moral indignation!

Why does the fact it's been going on for a long time make it any less worthy of our indignation? The fact is many people didn't realise this was going on to such an extent and involving ordinary people who'd had horrendous things happen to them as well as celebrities (not that I'm saying 'celebrities' deserve to have their phones hacked). Now that it's out in the open I think the indignation is well deserved. The people who did this deserve our loathing and contempt.

then I'm in no doubt that employees of the mobile telecoms sector will have been approached them too.

Possibly, but the point I was making was that hacking voicemails is a purely technical process that doesn't require the consent or help of anyone at the phone company.

Buying confidential police information however, requires an actual person on the inside to access that information as the police database is a closed system which can't be hacked into from 'outside'. I suspect a number of officers will be very worried at the moment, as for a number of years now, all logins to the Police National Computer are recorded along with the collar number of the officer concerned. A serious investigation (which should be done by officers outside the Met) should be able to trace back any information obtained, to an individual officer and then that officer needs to show how that information was used in connection with a case they were currently concerned with. If not, a closer look at the officer's finances should be considered.

As this seems to be fairly widespead corruption rather than a conspiracy, I doubt anyone is in a position to remove all the evidence without being caught, as it will be distributed all over the system.

John X

Archived