Milly Dowler's voicemail was hacked by News of the World

Would you boycott News of the World?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you boycott News of the World?

• Yes, its sunk to new levels of nastiness.
    • No, i like reading comics.
    • I never bought the rag in the first place.
    • I used to buy it, but have grown up and purchase broad sheets now.

That's the real worry, and I bet a few other editors and publishers will be having a few sleepless nights. As we start shaking the tree, who knows what else is going to fall out?

Do you think this campaign to boycott Sun advertisers will work? Ford have withdrawn their advertising and t-mobile and nPower are considering doing the same. The question is, have Ford done it because they are shocked and disgusted, or because it's got them better publicity than a few ads in this week's News of the World ever could?

I think that embarrassing the big public companies who advertise with NI may be much more effective than just boycotting NI. However, from the perspective of these companies, such as Ford etc, it will be necessary to walk a fine line themselves. They are susceptible to public opinion, but will also realise that an organisation as big as NI could probably severely harm them, if it put its mind to it.

Most people who buy this paper don't have an original political thought in their head and I doubt would relate the two things.

John X

but they do have a basic human decency (hopefully) and NoWs response to the disappearance of child (who was raped and dead) being to break the law in a campaign to make profit and then lie and bribe and threaten to cover it up will , hopefully, lead to heads on plates.

Can you imagine the newsrooms and executive suites of news international at the moment?

but will also realise that an organisation as big as NI could probably severely harm them, if it put its mind to it.

Not just large companies but politicians too!

All three main parties rely on Murdoch's tabloids to win elections.

John x

Jeremy Hunt and David Cameron could refuse Murdoch's BSkyB deal until there's a full Competition Commission review and a full public inquiry into phone hacking.

His take over could be passed on to the monopolies & mergers committee for further scrutiny.

That wouldn't be possible as Vince Cable failed to stipulate anything about 'proper conduct' in the original merger specification.

Not just large companies but politicians too!

All three main parties rely on Murdoch's tabloids to win elections.

John x

is it optimistic to dream that the corrupt politicians USED TO rely on Murdoch's influence? perhaps it will now be a bit toxic to be seen near them.

the ********

Sadly so but I think this will be a step too far for many readers and I think there will be a lot of copies of the News of the World to be collected from the shops and pulped on Monday morning.

My view is that anyone who buys this paper, knowing what we now know, is not much better than the "journalists" who thought it would be ok to hack into a murdered girl's voicemail.

Please don't buy this paper.

let you know monday how many i bring back.....

is it optimistic to dream that the corrupt politicians USED TO rely on Murdoch's influence? perhaps it will now be a bit toxic to be seen near them.

That may be so, but all three parties rely on the 'stupid' vote and Murdoch's papers have a proven track record of delivering that vote to the party of their choice.

John X

Archived