Milly Dowler's voicemail was hacked by News of the World

Would you boycott News of the World?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you boycott News of the World?

• Yes, its sunk to new levels of nastiness.
    • No, i like reading comics.
    • I never bought the rag in the first place.
    • I used to buy it, but have grown up and purchase broad sheets now.

That may be so, but all three parties rely on the 'stupid' vote and Murdoch's papers have a proven track record of delivering that vote to the party of their choice.

John X

yeah, I'm afraid you're probably right john x - the outrage will recede, rebekah will probably slip from the limelight, a couple of flunkies will take the flak and normal fascistic, mafia service will resume with people fearful of speaking out cos they know a shag they had in 1994 will be all over the front pages if they do.

My view is that anyone who buys this paper, knowing what we now know, is not much better than the "journalists" who thought it would be ok to hack into a murdered girl's voicemail.

I don't think that the identity or circumstances of the victim of the hacking should make any difference to the severity of the offence.

Of course, this is the latest in the very long running phone hacking scandal that involves many of the papers, including the mirror group and quite possibly the broadsheets too.

But the almost celestial conjunction of the conviction of the murderer of Milly Dowler, and the revelation that her phone was hacked by Screws hacks at the time, has resulted in the sort of swelling public outrage that failed to materialise when the victims were less sympathetic characters.

All very good to boycott NI now, but it reeks of double standards to me, especially likening readers of News of the Screws to cunning, amoral wretches.

Just to let you know I've merged the poll that was started into the existing News of the World thread. We may need a new title for this thread soon though, depending on what else comes to light on tomorrow's front pages :(

I don't think that the identity or circumstances of the victim of the hacking should make any difference to the severity of the offence.

I'm afraid I disagree. I'm not saying hacking into celebrities phones is OK - it's not. But there is a difference between doing that and hacking into a missing teenager's phone during an active police investigation, and deleting messages thereby giving her parents false hope that she was still alive. Also how did NoW know those messages had been listened to by the police and deemed not to be relevant to their investigation?

I'm afraid I disagree. I'm not saying hacking into celebrities phones is OK - it's not. But there is a difference between doing that and hacking into a missing teenager's phone during an active police investigation, and deleting messages thereby giving her parents false hope that she was still alive. Also how did NoW know those messages had been listened to by the police and deemed not to be relevant to their investigation?

exactly, ryan giggs was doing his wife's fiancee and no right minded person really cares - but news international are now the big corporate who have dragged the grieving family of a raped and killed child through further horror days after the torment of the trial.

that IS different, morally and (hopefully) financially.

I'm afraid I disagree. I'm not saying hacking into celebrities phones is OK - it's not

It's not just celebs - it's everyone and it has been for some time. Obviously celebs are primary targets, but their friends, family, hairdresser, granny and so on.

And that's just the red tops. Do we think that papers like the Independent, Telegraph and Guardian are innocent? Really?

Focus on NI and Brooks like this increases the likelihood of them becoming scapegoats for the whole affair - which is to the media what the expenses scandal was to the legislature.

Brooks is going to make a maternity exit, the next prime minister will still need Murdochs approval to be perceived as electable, and if the focus of outrage isn't shifted onto the press soon, it will be business as usual in 12 months time.

Archived