Milly Dowler's voicemail was hacked by News of the World

Would you boycott News of the World?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you boycott News of the World?

• Yes, its sunk to new levels of nastiness.
    • No, i like reading comics.
    • I never bought the rag in the first place.
    • I used to buy it, but have grown up and purchase broad sheets now.

It's not just celebs - it's everyone and it has been for some time. Obviously celebs are primary targets, but their friends, family, hairdresser, granny and so on.

And that's just the red tops. Do we think that papers like the Independent, Telegraph and Guardian are innocent? Really?

I don't think any newspaper is innocent. But no other news paper has been accused of deleting messages from a dead girl's phone, giving hope to her parents that she was still alive, possibly hampering a police investigation into her disappearance and possibly deleting evidence that could have helped to find her.

It's bad whoever's phone was hacked, but this was worse.

Simple answer to this one. As much as physically possible, have nothing to do with that vile Antipodean person's media empire. I suggest by starting with never buying one of his rags ever again. I'm happy to say that, to the best of my knowledge, that "gentleman" has never had a penny of mine.

Hit the scum where it hurts, in the bank account.

As much as physically possible, have nothing to do with that vile Antipodean person's media empire. I suggest by starting with never buying one of his rags ever again. I'm happy to say that, to the best of my knowledge, that "gentleman" has never had a penny of mine.

Hit the scum where it hurts, in the bank account.

And how many people on here are posting on Sky Broadband or watching Sky TV? :(

John X

All very good to boycott NI now, but it reeks of double standards to me, especially likening readers of News of the Screws to cunning, amoral wretches.

I have to admit that I think that hacking the phone of a missing young girl and deleting voice mail messages giving false hope to the family that she was still alive is morally rather worse than hacking the voice mail of some random schleb. Likening the readers to cunning, amoral wretches is not correct - sad prurient sheep maybe. Of course likening these muck rakers to cunning, amoral wretches is an insult to cunning, amoral wretches.

Brooks is going to make a maternity exit, the next prime minister will still need Murdochs approval to be perceived as electable, and if the focus of outrage isn't shifted onto the press soon, it will be business as usual in 12 months time.

12 months? I would say that's optimistic - business as usual on 12 weeks or less after some paying off and a new distracting "scandal".

but they do have a basic human decency (hopefully) and NoWs response to the disappearance of child (who was raped and dead) being to break the law in a campaign to make profit and then lie and bribe and threaten to cover it up will , hopefully, lead to heads on plates.

Can you imagine the newsrooms and executive suites of news international at the moment?

They'll be deciding which Cheryl/Ashley story to go with.

I don't know if this is worse, or just as bad:

Detectives from Scotland Yard’s team investigating the phone hacking scandal are in the process of contacting a “handful” of the 52 bereaved families whose names or phone numbers have appeared as part of their inquiry, sources told the Daily Telegraph.

It is thought that journalists were seeking to access voice messages left on family members’ phones as they desperately waited for information about their loved ones in the aftermath of the bombings in 2005.

It is unclear if they were aware at that stage that their relatives had died in the bombings.

12 months? I would say that's optimistic - business as usual on 12 weeks or less after some paying off and a new distracting "scandal".

Clarence Mitchell has popped up tonight. The McCanns will be back in the news soon. I hope the press aren't too tough on them.

Archived