Scrap men should be stopped stealing

So what you're saying is the police should spend time and resources catching people stealing scrap when they could be fighting drug-related or violent crime. And how long would you give your little stake-out? A day? Two days? More? Sheffield is a big place so you might need a few traps, multiplying the time and resources spent a few times just to catch people taking something which the owners no longer want when instead crimes that are a lot more serious could be tackled. And then you admit that the people putting the scrap out might not even mind that scrapmen take it. The idiocy of some people on here is amazing.

Get a grip - do you really believe the police spend the majority of its resources fighting drug related and violent crime?

Fact - they have specific units called SNT (Safer Neighbourhood Team's) designated to this type of crime which is theft no matter how much you wish to belittle it.

What on earth on you on about with a two day stake out? Has anybody suggested this apart from you?

What I'm simply stating is that when the police receive calls telling them that scrap men are in an area, would it be too much trouble for somebody from the Safer Neighbourhood Team or even some PCO's to visit in plain clothes and tag some items with UV pen? - you could then arrest the thieves with proof - not rocket science, not a two day stake out, not consuming extensive police resources............but, catching the thieves and taking positive action.

Doh

]So what you're saying is the police should spend time and resources catching people stealing scrap when they could be fighting drug-related or violent crime.[/b] And how long would you give your little stake-out? A day? Two days? More? Sheffield is a big place so you might need a few traps' date=' multiplying the time and resources spent a few times just to catch people taking something which the owners no longer want when instead crimes that are a lot more serious could be tackled. And then you admit that the people putting the scrap out might not even mind that scrapmen take it. The idiocy of some people on here is amazing.[/quote']

These peopel do get violent if you challenge them.

These peopel do get violent if you challenge them.
They didn't get violent with me, even though I'm 5'2 and one was at least 6ft tall and holding a club hammer. He knew full well he was in the wrong.

I would have been quite happy for them to take the items, but they wanted to pick and choose which bits they wanted and then leave me with all the nasty bits to dispose of. I wasn't happy with that, so asked them to get off my drive, and they did, no big deal.

I'm just glad I was in at the time, otherwise I might have come home to a right mess and maybe other metal stuff, that I would have preferred to keep, missing from the premises.

I also think the police could try harder to stop the petty thefts from gardens. I'm not sure how, because surely the garden furniture and kids toys must be disposed of elsewhere rather than by scrapping? But with the actual scrap, maybe by targeting the actual scrapyards rather than the van men? If they didn't have such an easy market, what would be the point?

So what you're saying is the police should spend time and resources catching people stealing scrap when they could be fighting drug-related or violent crime. And how long would you give your little stake-out? A day? Two days? More? Sheffield is a big place so you might need a few traps, multiplying the time and resources spent a few times just to catch people taking something which the owners no longer want when instead crimes that are a lot more serious could be tackled. And then you admit that the people putting the scrap out might not even mind that scrapmen take it. The idiocy of some people on here is amazing.

It is actually being done in some areas. Business owners are marking cables etc with smart water and random checks are being made at scrap yards. It is serious when electricity, telecoms and train infrastructure are being taken.

My neighbour was fitting a new kitchen and our regular scrapmen took the tumbler dryer which was outside his door, complete with the clothes still in it!

We put items in the yard bottom of alleyway knowing the scrapman will taken them sometimes within hours! We just make sure the stuff we don't want them to take is hidden away.

Our local scrapmen are in an open backed truck, white cab and blue sides. The burgundy coloured high-rise transit that goes round early doors takes charity bags, no graphics on the van ..... sounds naughty!

We reported to the police theft of metal from from our back garden, even supplied them with a name and phone number thanks to our canny 86 year old neighbour who saw what they were doing and asked them if they would clear out her garage one day. Guess what nothing was done, we still have his address maybe we will do the same to him!!!!

Bet we get caught though.

Archived